Sundown Audio

Stripped ground terminal on RF amp

Recently traded my 1500.1bd for two bd1500.1's...I love them so far, only problem is the previous owner cross threaded the grounded and stripped out the allen head, I tried to drill it out without any luck. Any other suggestions?

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Are you trying to get it out? Or just replace the terminal screw?

I want it out, or if theres any other alternatives thats fine as well. I just want to connect a ground wire to it.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

drill it out to next size up and re-tap. might just need a better drill bit.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

571433184_photobucket_29500_.jpg

571433184_photobucket_29501_.jpg

I'm going to go get better drill bits tomorrow and give it a shot again. Used to have nice bits but I move away for a few months and tools just seem to walk off on their own now..

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

There are things called "easy outs" used for getting stripped screws out.

http://www.amazon.com/piece-Easy-Screw-Bolt-Extractor/dp/B0002UJNWE

You can get them at most hardware stores.

kinda explains how they are used..

http://www.crustyquinns.com/tech/easyout.html

And if the threads on the amp are stripped you can re-tap them to the same size or next size bigger, but you will need a "flat bottom tap" due to the normal taps with not being able to go thru the terminal block far enough to re-thread the hole fully.

What you would need are something like these

2521a825.gif

VS a normal tap that has a coned tip and would not go far enough thru to make a good thread.

31ZejsD4I2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by Audiofanaticz

same as audio said but you can go cheaper. I went to lowes and bought a tiny drill bit and drilled a hole in middle of broken screw (use center punch first) then they also sell a reverse out drill bit the swirls on it are going the other way and you use drill in reverse.

Actual name is kobalt #1 spiral screw extractor and a dewalt split point cobalt drill bit 3/32.

Patience and a sharp center punch before you start to drill so bit doesn't walk is the main part once extractor catches it will clean threads on way out, good luck.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_232606-1083-358241_0__?productId=1065081&Ntt=screw+extractor&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dscrew%2Bextractor

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71093-70-DW1206_0__?productId=1209435&Ntt=3%2F32&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3D3%252F32

EDIT: I read audio's link and thats what is needed. :turkey:

Edited by crunkjuice1

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

dont center punch the screw unless you have something under the terminal block to support it, even then it is dangerous to do as you can crack it off the PCB of the amplifier.

should have a support under it while drilling as well really

Edited by STEvil

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.