Decent sounding setup help

Hello all. I need a decent sounding setup for around $500-600. The setup should include 6.5 component speakers for the front, a 2 channel amp to power the 6.5 comps, either one or two 12" subs (going in a sealed enclosue built to their specifications), and a mono amp to power the sub(s) adequately. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The vehicle will be a 2002 Ford Ranger Extended.

Well you posted this int he SQ section, so I am guessing you want this budget on SQ, well that is not going to happen at all. RF which is some good shit costs a damn good penny, and if you start talking serious SQ gear, Focal 6.5 Component 3-way set is around $5000

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Welcome to SMD!

For starters, you don't need a $5000 set from Focal to get SQ. No.

I would save some more if you are serious about quality though. Start with sets of components- check out the Crescendo ones. Look at MB Quart 4 channel and mono amps. As for subs, that's pretty damn open-ended. Just so many options...but check out what I suggested and see how you feel about it as a starting point! :drinks:

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

im with s-15 and taking ur time with the set up of ur speakers will help out alot in the long run

CDyneSi_zps9638e5fa.jpg

VbjgkeI_zpsdd2219ec.jpg

deepsilencer, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:32, said:

splzx3, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:27, said:

i had my fun on one of his videos...till he blocked me then i got my mother into it lol after her he closed the comments xD

lol your mom is a G! good.gif

WTF, I never thought I'd have a conversation about cross dressers and trans-genders on a car audio forum.

go on ebay, look for old Linear Power amps, like the 652iq, the 952iq, or 1502iq, they will out do many of the new amps today, and are worth every penny you spend! They are amazing for a front stage! For a mono amp for your sub choice, look into like old zapco 2 ch, they need external crossovers but have power well more than rated, perfect to push a sub.

Front stage, check out lower end Rainbow comps, lower end Morel, and even look into CDT stuff, usually reasonably priced!

Sub stage, well this is up to if you want your Sq, SPL,or SQL. I bought a T3 Audio t.600 10" for my fiance's build and have to say I'm impressed and the sub didnt kill my bank account. You could also do Image IDQ's, or Sundown. As long as enclosure is built right, youll get the quality desired.

Ill tell you as an SQ guy, you dont need 1000's of dollars to sound good, you need great assembly and tuning, imaging, whether to run in or out of phase. Its about the build more than the product, one angle can through off imaging, and poof sounds like shit.

Good luck with the build and hope you enjoy!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Stevens Audio 6.5" components (passive)

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

go on ebay, look for old Linear Power amps, like the 652iq, the 952iq, or 1502iq, they will out do many of the new amps today, and are worth every penny you spend! They are amazing for a front stage! For a mono amp for your sub choice, look into like old zapco 2 ch, they need external crossovers but have power well more than rated, perfect to push a sub.

Front stage, check out lower end Rainbow comps, lower end Morel, and even look into CDT stuff, usually reasonably priced!

Sub stage, well this is up to if you want your Sq, SPL,or SQL. I bought a T3 Audio t.600 10" for my fiance's build and have to say I'm impressed and the sub didnt kill my bank account. You could also do Image IDQ's, or Sundown. As long as enclosure is built right, youll get the quality desired.

Ill tell you as an SQ guy, you dont need 1000's of dollars to sound good, you need great assembly and tuning, imaging, whether to run in or out of phase. Its about the build more than the product, one angle can through off imaging, and poof sounds like shit.

Good luck with the build and hope you enjoy!

How would you rate the RE Audio SEX 12" subwoofer to (2009) Rockford Fosgate P3 12" subwoofer?

To be honest, the RE subs of new are not like the RE subs of old! I know people prolly will disagree, but everyone has their own opinion!

But from what I have heard, installed, and tested in the last year, there are only a few subs that I would replace my Onyx sub with for my SQ needs. It really depends on which genre you want to go with. You want SQL, I would run either a Sundown SA12, T3 t.1000, or an Image Dynamics IDMAX. If you are leaning more towards SQ, then I would consider the T3 t.600 or the Image Dynamics IDQ!

I havent had personal experience with any FI stuff, some of the middle/high RE, or any of the middle/high RF! But with the ones I have listed I am very impressed and quite happy with their performance, quality, clarity, and strong response to many tones.

But in all actually, to each their own!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Stevens Audio 6.5" components (passive)

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring