Sundown Audio

Re-Building Pair of 15" UFO Style BTLs

Had a customer send in a pair of BTL 15s for me to re-build -- first time seeing the new UFO style BTLs in person. Very large and heavy motor on these guys -- also looks like they started using four separate magnets on these rather than a single large slug; presumably to prevent potential defects in the big slug.

In any event -- on to the to re-build... the original failure was a burnt up tinsel lead on one of the drivers... so I am using our double lead Z v.2 spiders on the re-builds.

CIMG4832.JPG

* Original Failure Point

CIMG4833.JPG

* I am using a Z v.3 coil -- it is similar in dimension to the BTL stock coil but it is 8-layers vs. 4-layers on the BTL coil... it is 60mm WW vs. 64mm WW on the original. Performance should be very similar in the end, though.

CIMG4834.JPG

* I used a rear triple joint ring from the Z v.3 line on these.

CIMG4835.JPG

* Original rear triple joint - just a bit dusty.

CIMG4837.JPG

* Original basket spacers - these are here to make room for the extended top plate neck on this driver.

CIMG4836.JPG

* Using these nuts to get the spacing right while waiting on the machined spacers.

-----

BTL_Spacer.jpg

They are done -- I should have them by Friday or so to finish these drivers next Monday.

They are made of Delrin -- a super hard resin material :

Acetal Resin | DuPont ™ Delrin ®

Edited by sundownz

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Based on customer input these will have two Z v.2 spiders and a Nightshade cone to go with the Z v.3 coil and triple joint ring :)

The new spacer was needed to make clearance for the triple joint ring so it will not hit the extended neck on the top plate.

---

CIMG4840.JPG

* Double Leads

CIMG4842.JPG

* Spacer installed.

CIMG4843.JPG

* Split magnet

CIMG4845.JPG

* Going to poke leads through, solder, and finish top triple joint this morning.

This is the first one -- second one will be the same.

---

T/S specs measured after short break-in period - should extend nice and low for the customer :

RE: 2.0 ohms

Fs: 31.8 Hz

Qes: 0.33

Qms: 7.66

Qts: 0.32

Le: 2.59 mH

Vas: 64 L

BL: 18.3 NA

Mms: 267g

Cms: 93 uM/N

Sens: 89.76 dB 1w/1m

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

What is the rms rating on something like this? Or should I say what kind of rms power will it take before exploding?

Since were all having a moment of truth.

I hate country too..

I'd only listen to it if I got some hotass bitch in my car and shes gonna suck my dick.

What is the rms rating on something like this? Or should I say what kind of rms power will it take before exploding?

Thermal RMS will be about the same as stock -- mechanically these are a bit softer based on what the customer has for enclosure and power.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

I was just wandering because I purchased a dc xl 15 d1 with an extra spider and on the power I am putting on it Im sure I will need a re-cone at the end of the summer. Wasnt sure how they work. If they can be beefed more than what the sub is already or not.

Looks good tho, looks like you have done this a time or two lol

Since were all having a moment of truth.

I hate country too..

I'd only listen to it if I got some hotass bitch in my car and shes gonna suck my dick.

Dear god those look nice. 2nd pic is cool with the other BTL peeking at you from the background. :good:

What are the chances I could get the already-custom sub I have in my sig re-coned by you? PM me if you'd like.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread