Sonic Electronix

You...have...close to little idea of what you're talking about.

OP, it is clear research and education is in order. If you feel like taking the blatant general advice with no specific information or details without knowing the enclosure, or power, or equipment and how running below recommended will react in the given situation. Anyone who believes that a cookie cutter answer because of his 4 amps run below 1 ohm is about as simple as he is naive.

I personally just add such people to the blocked list. Unfortunately with a deep well of knowledge available on this site, there is some bad information as well.

is it your reading or comprehension that fails you?

the only one giving a "cookie cutter" answer is yourself.

as I stated:

"depends on the amp and the box."

do you understand? it depends on the amp and the box!

blatantly stating "no." when someone asks if it would be ok demonstrates sheer ignorance and arrogance.

I know yours was, but I didn't want to start an argument, so I just posted the correct advice instead :)

number of setups where I've run an amp at half its rated impedance on a daily basis: 4

number of amplifiers that have failed as a result: 0

I'm going to go with my original statement that it should be ok :werd_msword:

most amplifiers will have short circuit protection anyway, which may result in the amplifier going into protect at some frequencies, in some songs, where the impedance rise isn't as great.

just wait for someone to try this and end up blowing their amplifier up because they listened to your advice. im not calling you stupid or anything but impedance rise is tricky as fuck. every single frequency changes the impedance that the amp sees. you gave someone advice when they said "i heard about ohms rise and other things". not to be a dick, but does that not click in your brain that they dont know much about the subject?

I know yours was, but I didn't want to start an argument, so I just posted the correct advice instead :)

number of setups where I've run an amp at half its rated impedance on a daily basis: 4

number of amplifiers that have failed as a result: 0

I'm going to go with my original statement that it should be ok :werd_msword:

most amplifiers will have short circuit protection anyway, which may result in the amplifier going into protect at some frequencies, in some songs, where the impedance rise isn't as great.

just wait for someone to try this and end up blowing their amplifier up because they listened to your advice. im not calling you stupid or anything but impedance rise is tricky as fuck. every single frequency changes the impedance that the amp sees. you gave someone advice when they said "i heard about ohms rise and other things". not to be a dick, but does that not click in your brain that they dont know much about the subject?

I didn't tell him to do it, I said it should be ok, but it depends on the box and amp, this is a leading statement, requiring more information from the OP.

but I'll leave you all to wallow in your own ignorance.

have fun.

I didn't tell him to do it, I said it should be ok, but it depends on the box and amp, this is a leading statement, requiring more information from the OP.

have fun.

you havent been on here enough to realize how ignorant some new members are. you say "it depends on the box and amp". so what if theoretically the OP was able to give you model numbers of everything. you're telling me that you would be able to calculate the impedance curve, taking into account cabin gain/loss and enclosure information?

have fun.

you havent been on here enough to realize how ignorant some new members are. you say "it depends on the box and amp". so what if theoretically the OP was able to give you model numbers of everything. you're telling me that you would be able to calculate the impedance curve, taking into account cabin gain/loss and enclosure information?

game. set. match.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

of course not.

but some 4ohm nominal subs may have a resistance of 4.2ohms, while others might be 3ohms.

the impedance is never going to drop below its dc resistance.

and some amplifiers will handle being run at lower impedance better than others.

of course not.

but some 4ohm nominal subs may have a resistance of 4.2ohms, while others might be 3ohms.

and some amplifiers will handle being run at lower impedance better than others.

Thats all well and good, and we understand; your smart. But the OP has been hopelessly confused since prolly the 3rd reply.

Kranny is right, sometimes you just have to say no, even when the answer is maybe.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

of course not.

Thats all well and good, and we understand; your smart. But the OP has been hopelessly confused since prolly the 3rd reply.

Kranny is right, sometimes you just have to say no, even when the answer is maybe.

irrelevant of whether the OP gets it or not, the answer isn't no.

but as I already said:

"of course, you need to have subs that can be wired at 0.5ohms, if you're currently wired at 1ohm, then there will be no way to wire at 0.5 with those subs. "

irrelevant of whether the OP gets it or not, the answer isn't no.

but as I already said:

"of course, you need to have subs that can be wired at 0.5ohms, if you're currently wired at 1ohm, then there will be no way to wire at 0.5 with those subs. "

doesnt matter if the answer isnt no. when someone asks (especially a new member) if they can do something that is extremely sketchy, such as box rise, then you either ignore it or tell them to not do it. we dont want someone to end up trying it and then they come back a week later saying their shit is blown and then it all points to you.

Archived