Sonic Electronix

It really depends on your electrical, your knowledge and experience, and the type of amp you have.

If your electrical is not up to par, wiring at .5 ohms is never a good idea.

If you are asking this question in the first place, you probably don't have the knowledge and experience to safely wire an amp at .5 ohms for daily.

If you have an amp that's 1 ohm stable, it's 1 ohm stable. Some amps can handle lower impedance's fine, some amps won't even turn on or will go straight into protect as soon as they see an ohm load below it's stable ohm load.

TL;DR, it can be done, but you shouldn't do it.

Horrible, horrible, horrible advice.

I know yours was, but I didn't want to start an argument, so I just posted the correct advice instead :)

number of setups where I've run an amp at half its rated impedance on a daily basis: 4

number of amplifiers that have failed as a result: 0

I'm going to go with my original statement that it should be ok :werd_msword:

most amplifiers will have short circuit protection anyway, which may result in the amplifier going into protect at some frequencies, in some songs, where the impedance rise isn't as great.

You...have...close to little idea of what you're talking about.

OP, it is clear research and education is in order. If you feel like taking the blatant general advice with no specific information or details without knowing the enclosure, or power, or equipment and how running below recommended will react in the given situation. Anyone who believes that a cookie cutter answer because of his 4 amps run below 1 ohm is about as simple as he is naive.

I personally just add such people to the blocked list. Unfortunately with a deep well of knowledge available on this site, there is some bad information as well.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Horrible, horrible, horrible advice.

x2. dont even attempt it if you have to ask.

this...read, read, read. then read some more...then get real world experience...THEN and ONLY then might you have enough knowledge to attempt to do something like this...otherwise you run the risk of frying your amp, blowing voice coils, starting electrical fires...so many bad things CAN happen when you try to color outside the lines without knowing what you're doing.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

Archived