say i have a 3 way tower with a 3 way crossover can i send the tower 50rms the woofer and mid are over 50rms but the tweater is only 15rms 30 peak would i blow the tweater?

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

From what i have seen it only happens if you send it a clipped signal. I had a 250w rms subwoofer hooked up to a 2600w rms amp without any problems. I even had it at full tilt but didnt have any clipping what so ever going out of the amp. If you have it, set everything with an oscope. Its the best thing you can do for yourself, your wallet, and your equipment. Settings gains with your ear is never going to work. lol.

Also just make sure you use the crossovers without any questions. You dont need to have a bass signal hit the tweeter or you can blow them fast. Id recommend somewhere around the 1.5KHz and above for the crossover point on the tweeters if i were you.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Rofl. Wtg Mr.p

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I had a 250w rms subwoofer hooked up to a 2600w rms amp without any problems.

no 250watt sub will handle 2600watts, clipped or unclipped.

as for the 3 way speaker setup, the tweeter won't get anywhere near the amount of power the mid and woofer are getting because of the crossover, some manufacturers will give the tweeters power handling with a specific crossover, such as this Peerless tweeter:

http://www.d-s-t.com.au/data/Peerless/811827.pdf

which lists a "long term maximum system power" of 130watts, when realistically, the tweeter might handle 40watts.

also, tweeters are more sensitive than mids and woofers, so you'll probably need to reduce the level (attenuate) of the tweeter so it doesn't sound harsh.

winisd can calculate the component values for crossovers for you :)

thats my problem i want a 3 way set up for my front door and dash but idk how to select drivers or build a crossover.

like so far these are the drivers ive picked

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=297-416&scqty=2 - tweeter

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-302&scqty=2 - mid

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-356&scqty=2 - woofer

i feel like these 3 would work well together but then again i dont know to much i want a good 3 way setup that will have a 4ohm final load and sing with 50 rms.

Edited by hifonics10

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

I had a 250w rms subwoofer hooked up to a 2600w rms amp without any problems.

no 250watt sub will handle 2600watts, clipped or unclipped.

as for the 3 way speaker setup, the tweeter won't get anywhere near the amount of power the mid and woofer are getting because of the crossover, some manufacturers will give the tweeters power handling with a specific crossover, such as this Peerless tweeter:

http://www.d-s-t.com...less/811827.pdf

which lists a "long term maximum system power" of 130watts, when realistically, the tweeter might handle 40watts.

also, tweeters are more sensitive than mids and woofers, so you'll probably need to reduce the level (attenuate) of the tweeter so it doesn't sound harsh.

winisd can calculate the component values for crossovers for you :)

Oh really? Would you like me to prove you wrong? I put my 250w sub to the wall socket for fun and its dead but i have a 150w sub left and ill hook that to my 2600w amp if you want and get a vid of it. Its possible. Hell tons of ppl use bigger amps that put out more power than their subs are made to handle so if you think that just because you have a amp that is putting out more power than the sub is made for that you are going to blow the speaker you are wrong.

Power is exponential. You need 10 times the juice to produce twice the volume. It's not out of the relm of possibility to run 2500 on a 250 watt sub. Clipping is surely more dangerous to a voice coil than excessive power. As long as your enclosure is not too small as to limit the excursion of your sub, and you don't run it past it's mechanical limits, any properly rated sub will run with much more than it's rated RMS. Running more power gives you more headroom and the clarity at higher SPL is greater.

RMS is more of a guideline, not a strict rule. That is, as long as you know what you're doing.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Oh really? Would you like me to prove you wrong? I put my 250w sub to the wall socket for fun and its dead but i have a 150w sub left and ill hook that to my 2600w amp if you want and get a vid of it. Its possible. Hell tons of ppl use bigger amps that put out more power than their subs are made to handle so if you think that just because you have a amp that is putting out more power than the sub is made for that you are going to blow the speaker you are wrong.

go for it.

obviously you'll be clamping the output from the amp to show the sub is actually getting 2500watts though.