Second Skin Audio

Smaller enclosures for 18's

I'm pretty satisfied with my two 18's now, but I want to go for 4...in a sunfire sedan. I'm thinking a clamshell or something similar to the hoopty and started crunching some numbers and not exactly sure but I think I could get 4 cubic foot per sub or just slightly below that with sub displacement. Any input is appreciated, I'm unsure how 18's would perform in a smaller space and its been over two years since i've even thought about box designs so I'm in need of some refreshing. :drinks:

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

4 seems small, usually 18s are 5-8 cubes. You cou do 3 18s though. someone with more knowledge will chime in. but usually smaller box, more power.

Edited by ChevyBoy95

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

4 seems small, usually 18s are 5-8 cubes. You cou do 3 18s though. someone with more knowledge will chime in. but usually smaller box, more power.

I could definitely do 3 but I want 4, thanks for your input...i couldn't even remember what airspace 18's even liked LOL. More power wouldn't be a problem, I'm looking for something I could throw power at in the lanes.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Depending on subs and what not, a 4 cube box is definitely do able!

I recommend tuning as LOW as possible probably around 27hz and using a ton of port. whatever you can fit.

It will be peaky but if you tune low it sound decent :drinks:

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

Depending on subs and what not, a 4 cube box is definitely do able!

I recommend tuning as LOW as possible probably around 27hz and using a ton of port. whatever you can fit.

It will be peaky but if you tune low it sound decent :drinks:

Well I already have two rd audio alphas.. may see if I can just buy baskets and motors from rd and send these to psi with the empty motors and have them all reconed (I like the subs but hold a grudge against the company). If not I may sell them and go a different route. I'm definitely doing low tuninghairtrick.gif

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

With a tight box and large port the port only reinforces the woofer for a narrow range of frequencies

, so tuning low will be to your advantage as in the music range (35-50hz) the subs will actually be getting alot of excursion!

Also on the low notes the subs will barely move. If you tune normal 35-40hz in this type of box the subs wont move playing those notes, and you will end up with some very hot subs and smelly coils :pardon: as most music is in this range....you want to tune as low as possible so only on the low notes they have less excursion.

Atleast thats what i think and has worked for me.

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

With a tight box and large port the port only reinforces the woofer for a narrow range of frequencies

, so tuning low will be to your advantage as in the music range (35-50hz) the subs will actually be getting alot of excursion!

Also on the low notes the subs will barely move. If you tune normal 35-40hz in this type of box the subs wont move playing those notes, and you will end up with some very hot subs and smelly coils :pardon: as most music is in this range....you want to tune as low as possible so only on the low notes they have less excursion.

Atleast thats what i think and has worked for me.

My current box is 29 hz and I completely agree, low tuning keeps them from jumping out of the basket on low notes while still allowing for the teeth chattering highs. You have me really thinking now, I'm going to do some measuring tomorrow to see exactly what I can come up with.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Level4XL, Mayhem, BL...all good choices for 4ft^3 a piece. Plus, if you're doing a common chamber they'll think they're in a larger space anyways. Just prepare to need more power than you currently have.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

I'm unsure how 18's would perform in a smaller space

It could experience poor lows if you're tuned high and insane inefficiency. You'll also probably hear lots of peakiness.

Some subs will do fine in 4 cubes though...in fact some specs say that they'd be fine (AA/SMD and T3 Audio T2000)

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Yeah I'm selling the current amps soon, waiting on a quote on an alternator. 16v mmmmm :drinks: alternator, regulator, and battery bank are the first things i'm buying before tearing out my current 'wall' and going for a bigger rebuild. After looking at my car today this is going to be rough, I forsee a problem with bolting the subs in...may have to innovate with removable baffles.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps