Sonic Electronix

Ok Im not so much new to car audio, I know the basics but not the technical stuff. I have what I believe to be a pretty bad ass amp. Its a Hifonics HFI2000d. I recently blew the Alpine Type R 12's I had hooked up to it. Im looking in to getting new subs and my budget is $600. At this dealer down the road the guy offered me 1 DC level 4 XL 15' in a 4th order box with a battery and all new 0 gauge with install. I was wondering if this was a pretty good sub to invest in to and not have to worry about replacing it sometime soon. It says it can handle 1500 to 3000 RMS and my amp puts out 2000. I was just wondering if there were better subs for the money. He said the sub is going to run me at $400 and the box is $100 and then everything else for $100. Also during the summer when I make a little money I want to get new interior speakers for my doors and replace the 6x9's I have. All my interior speakers are Sony Xplodes and they are ok but the Type R's seemed to drown out the lyrics and I want something that will over power the sub. I was also wondering if the headunit I have is decent at all. I bought a JVC KW-XR610. I love the way it looks and it fit in my dash without any mounting kits. Please help ease my mind. Sorry its so long.

Your not seeing 2000wrms out of your amp mate. The HFi line of amps is overrated. You may have blown your subwoofer because of clipping, did you set your gain with a oscope? I don't want to make any recommendations for equipment if you won't know how to work with it.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

^^This, check your gains for clipping.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Your not seeing 2000wrms out of your amp mate. The HFi line of amps is overrated. You may have blown your subwoofer because of clipping, did you set your gain with a oscope? I don't want to make any recommendations for equipment if you won't know how to work with it.

I really dont even know what clipping is. Im also not to sure how to tune an amp. The guy im buying the stuff from said he will tune it all for me and make sure I wont blow the sub.

I really dont even know what clipping is. Im also not to sure how to tune an amp. The guy im buying the stuff from said he will tune it all for me and make sure I wont blow the sub.

Red flag

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Honestly, it's up to you on whether or not you take his deal. It is a great offer and DC makes great subwoofers. But if your willing to spend that much money, you NEED to make sure you are not sending a clipped signal to the sub. Does the guy your buying from have an oscope? If he doesn't, does he even know what one is? I'm interested into how he's going to tune it.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Yea i agree with the above posts strongly. See if the guy has a oscope in his posession to test your gains for clipping. If you do it like meade has in the vids that were posted above then you should be fine. I have my stetsom 2k6d setup in my room and i clamped it at 2300w rms at 12v of power off my power supply i tore apart from my desktop. I am running that amp to a 10" kicker cvr and a 10" kenwood subwoofer. They are wired to 2 ohms and they are taking all the 2000w rms i set the amp up for. I set the gains all with the scope so it wont clip when i crank the volume so im running 2kw rms to subs that cant handle more than 800w rms in a pair.

I would suggest to get a scope for yourself and set the gains if you dont really believe the guy at the shop doesnt have the expertise on how to set gains with a oscope. IDC who you are but setting your gains by ear is NOT AT ALL accurate as getting an scope. I thought i was really good for setting my gains by ear but when i took the scope to it, that signal was dirty as hell.

If you lived near me i would come to your place and help you set it up with my scope. I bought the same one that meade uses in his vids and i also got the clamp meter for it too. I always recommend the scope because it is feature rich and a very good unit from what ive used so far.

You can kinda ballpark your gains with the chart that is somewhere on here by getting a multimeter and setting the gains according to your ohm load and voltage but that isnt accurate because of impedance rise and all the other factors that can come into play.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Honestly, it's up to you on whether or not you take his deal. It is a great offer and DC makes great subwoofers. But if your willing to spend that much money, you NEED to make sure you are not sending a clipped signal to the sub. Does the guy your buying from have an oscope? If he doesn't, does he even know what one is? I'm interested into how he's going to tune it.

im not sure if he has an o scope, but I know hes done a lot of builds and probably has one. Im going to talk to him tomorrow about it. In case he doesnt I did just watch the video and know what it is now. Just in case he doesnt have one what do you think one would cost to buy one and tune it myself.