Second Skin Audio

Singles vs Pairs in ported box performance?

I tried to search, but perhaps its not working right now, so my apologies as this may have already been covered.

Is there a difference in overall performance if 2 subs are in sepearate ported boxes, as opposed to a single larger enclosure?

Edited because I noobed out there. heh.

Edited by alehound

Patiently waiting until 2016...the year in which I likely get to 300 posts... In which then, and only then, will I finally be able to get me some more decaf...

Is there a difference in overall performance if 2 subs are in sepearate ported boxes, as opposed to a single larger enclosure?

A single, properly designed enclosure has the potential to be louder

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

A single, properly designed enclosure has the potential to be louder

just the answer i was hoping for. thanks. :)

Patiently waiting until 2016...the year in which I likely get to 300 posts... In which then, and only then, will I finally be able to get me some more decaf...

I started this thread because I had a new idea for the back of my vibe, and while my understanding of enclosures is decent, I have much to learn yet.

Anyway, sometimes I have to haul bigger stuff around for my job, so I am constantly having to fold the seats down. This also involves having to move around my box that houses 2 rockford 8" subs. (Thats right, I roll hard with the 8's... single voice coil even. My budget for car audio is tiny.)

I figured I might could build something where both speakers are on the outside, leaving the middle area to haul stuff with the seat down.

0416112101.jpg

So first I built a quick prototype so I could hear how the actual box will sound. Its at .6 cubes tuned to about 37Hz. I think it sounds great, but wonder what others think about folding the "L" port into an "S" shape to get the length needed for tuning. Am I losing efficiency with this type of design?

0416111319a.jpg

I figure Im close to about halfway done, and I will probably post more pics when I finish up. Input on the design good or bad appreciated. Thanks for looking.

0416112040.jpg

0416112055.jpg

0416112147a.jpg

0416112150.jpg

0417111647.jpg

its 3/4, and was laying around in the garage. otherwise might have gone with 1/2.

So first I built a quick prototype so I could hear how the actual box will sound. Its at .6 cubes tuned to about 37Hz. I think it sounds great, but wonder what others think about folding the "L" port into an "S" shape to get the length needed for tuning. Am I losing efficiency with this type of design?

I am curious about this also for a slightly larger enclosure 8)

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

• 1 month later...

finally got around to wrapping the box in carpet today. just have to touch up the black in the port and she's all done.

box.jpg

box2.jpg