Sonic Electronix

[Updated - Fixed] Who can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

power acoustik amps are junk.

Even the guy who sells power acoustic just told you in this thread that a bamf4000.1 would be the same or worse then a kicker 750.1.

Dont buy that amp its lost money.

Nah I don't think I'm going to bother. I've been looking around SonicElectronix and think there are better options.

However, on topic. We pulled the Fluke out, took us a minute to figure out which setting and range to be in, but we got it down.

I'm not drawing 500 volts and my gain isn't even half way. Now I know why I blew the fuses.

Still, it isn't enough for these subs. I'm barely running them at half power, so I still need to upgrade amps. I think I can find someone to buy this amp for 200, which would give me enough to buy a Hifonics or something similar. Any suggestions?

Now before I start thinking about it, if I wired my subs down to .5 ohms and pulled out out the fluke and set the gain to around 700 - 750 watts to the sub, would I eventually damage the amp? I'm not really intent on trying it, but I am curious.

you cant "draw" voltage. and nowhere on that amp should you be seeing 500v. and how do you think you know how many watts the amp is putting out? i just need to know how you are coming up with these numbers.

but again, read BCAE1.com, its pretty clear you have a bad concept of how this all works and that site will clear everything up. :good:

Wow, I was in a hurry on my phone and really screwed that up.

My dad had a Fluke, and after a little playing we figure out how to set the AC volts and range correctly. Using the chart posted above, we set the amp (under 2 ohms resistance) to just under 500 watts. This was between and quarter and half turn. Now I know why I was blowing fuses. At 3/4 turn and 2 ohms resistance the amp was trying to put out WAY more watts than it was rated at.

Good news though, especially now that I know my amp is working great. I am swapping these 2 ohm subs out for 4 ohms tomorrow. So before the end of the week I'll have two subs I can actually wire down to 1 ohm. Again, using the chart above, I will set the watts to 750 - 800 ish watts.

I have learned a lot in this thread alone, I don't feel MECP certified but I have a better understanding of what I'm doing.

I'm just trying to make sure I didn't screw something up in the wiring. Having my gain at half way, bass boost off, and the sub level on the head unit about 3/4 of the way up shouldn't be blowing fuses.

I've got a Power Accoustik BAMF2000D on the way. It will hit RMS for these @ 2 ohms and when I upgrade to CVXs it will hit their RMS @ 1 ohm.

I'm just making sure I won't have these problems with it. I had been leaning towards it being an amp problem, so it' being returned.

By the way, nice replies, I didn't expect 6 that quick lol

If you think you had problems with your amp before, just wait till you get the BAMF.

1999 Monte Carlo

Sony CDX-GT34w

2 Alpine Type R 12"s in 4 cubes tuned to 35hz

American Bass VFL 80.1 amp @ 1 ohm (probably doing between 1000 and 1300rms)

Stock alt, Stock batt, Big 3 Upgrade

Boston s55- 5 1/4s (doors)

Boston s95- 6x9s (rear deck)

I'm just trying to make sure I didn't screw something up in the wiring. Having my gain at half way, bass boost off, and the sub level on the head unit about 3/4 of the way up shouldn't be blowing fuses.

I've got a Power Accoustik BAMF2000D on the way. It will hit RMS for these @ 2 ohms and when I upgrade to CVXs it will hit their RMS @ 1 ohm.

I'm just making sure I won't have these problems with it. I had been leaning towards it being an amp problem, so it' being returned.

By the way, nice replies, I didn't expect 6 that quick lol

If you think you had problems with your amp before, just wait till you get the BAMF.

I'm not, I was going to return this one but once I realized that it was use error, and not a damaged amp I decided to keep it. I've got two DVC 4 ohm subs on the way to go with this amp. Started looking around and heard too many bad things about that amp.

I found someone local to buy these CVRs so it's all good now.

/

Thursday my new ones will be here.

Ironically, through an email with Kicker about why the specs for this amp in the manual and on the website are different, they recommended I upgrade subs to go with the amp. When he refused to gift the CVXs we agreed to disagree.

On a side note, just in case anyone wants to know. The 2010 model DX1000.1 is 1000 watts @ 1 ohm while the 2011 model is 1000 watts @ 2 ohm.

Ive never heard of this to be honest... I've ran 8 gauge to an amplifier that requires 4-6 and I've also done it with heavy voltage drop. Sounds to me like a short in the amplifier or something causing it to protect and thus blowing your fuses. The DX1000.1 should do over 550RMS they're under-rated my friend had one and its birthsheet said 682RMS @ 2OHMS. Ontop of that, why would you get D2 subwoofers when they can only do 2.6 & 4? I'd just buy some 12" CVX's (750RMS each) and meter that amplifier to about 1200RMS, and you'll be fine (the amp CAN do 1200RMS if you have electrical to back it.)

I'd say the amps junk or somethings is severely wrong, you dont have reverse polarity do you?

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

Ive never heard of this to be honest... I've ran 8 gauge to an amplifier that requires 4-6 and I've also done it with heavy voltage drop. Sounds to me like a short in the amplifier or something causing it to protect and thus blowing your fuses. The DX1000.1 should do over 550RMS they're under-rated my friend had one and its birthsheet said 682RMS @ 2OHMS. Ontop of that, why would you get D2 subwoofers when they can only do 2.6 & 4? I'd just buy some 12" CVX's (750RMS each) and meter that amplifier to about 1200RMS, and you'll be fine (the amp CAN do 1200RMS if you have electrical to back it.)

I'd say the amps junk or somethings is severely wrong, you dont have reverse polarity do you?

I originally had one CVR in a box with a ZX400.1 amp. I got my hands on one of Kickers "Loaded Enclosure" boxes so I went ahead and bought another CVR to go with it. Well, I ordered amp shortly after. Then when I started to put it all together I started to realize I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Now I'm where I need to be.

I was blowing fuses because with 2 ohms resistance I was trying to run it WAY over 550 watts. Using a Fluke DMM I measured 33.7 V (or whatever the chart says) between 1/4 and 1/2 gain. So when I had that thing closer to 3/4 it was blowing fuses because I was asking too much from it.

Once the new subs get here and I wire them down to 1 ohm I'll be in a much better place.

I plan to upgrade to CVXs one day, but I was able to swap the CVR 2 ohm for the 4 ohm. I wasn't out of any extra money. I've got my eye on the Solo X though :woot:

Archived