Headlights still dimming...

I am running about 1000 wrms. I have a 160 amp alternator and still having dimming issues, rarely but it pisses me off when it happens, plus my Stinger is constantly bouncing between 12.1 and 13.6 volts (sometimes drops to 11.9, rarely drops this low, goes right back up when gas is pressed) I want it constantly in the high 13's or 14 volts. So I was thinking of adding a battery in the trunk and was looking at the Kinetiks and found one on eBay. It is the Kinetik HC800 for $129 shipped.

Is that an ok deal for those batteries? Would this be a good upgrade for me, or a waste of money and pointless? If I decide to get a new amp that did 2krms, would this hold up to that? And lastly is there any difference between the HC800 and the KHC800? Thanks!!

2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. cab - Kenwood KIV-BT901 - 2x 12" DC Audio level 3 m2D1 in 4.2 cuft. @29Hz. - DC Audio 2.0k - Alpine Type-X components - US Amps USA-4300x - XS Power D4700 - Bosch 145a alternator

What alternator? Do you have a voltage regulator? Big Three? What does your car idle at?

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

what brand alternator do you have? i assume those voltage numbers are at idle, which would make complete sense as some cheap(er) high output alternators do absolutely terrible outputting power at idle. my stock 70 amp can sustain my 2 amps at 14v no problem while driving but when im at idle its a different story

edit: there is nothing really you can do, adding a battery wont help your voltage to stop plummeting when you're at idle. it will help it not drop AS MUCH but it wont fix it 100%.

Edited by Kranny

And for only 1000 watts you shouldn't have that much voltage problems. Even if everyhing was stock.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

And for only 1000 watts you shouldn't have that much voltage problems. Even if everyhing was stock.

What kind of alt...It could be a shitty batt...a bad ground...something else drawing current from your system....a bad voltage regulator...just to name a few.

BassinBlazer

JL[RF][Kenwood][AQ]

I need a new amp! Sell me your amp!

It is a cheap eBay alternator, came with stats that stated 80 amps @ 800 RPM, 125 amps @ 1200RPM and I think 160 @ 3000 RPM. But I needed to replace my stock 80 amp anyways because it was going bad so I just put a little extra into this, figure it would be much better than the stock 80 amp.

I idle at 14.4 with everything off, if the subs are on it drops immediately to the low 12's, but if I put the RPMs to about 1000 is stays at about 13 volts. No big 3, tried that and dimming just got worse, Do plan to redo when I find someone to help me. And I'm sorry but I don't know what a voltage regulator is, so no, I don't think I have one if it's something aftermarket.

2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. cab - Kenwood KIV-BT901 - 2x 12" DC Audio level 3 m2D1 in 4.2 cuft. @29Hz. - DC Audio 2.0k - Alpine Type-X components - US Amps USA-4300x - XS Power D4700 - Bosch 145a alternator

Dimming should not get worse if you do the Big 3 in good 0gauge wiring. You may have a bad ground mate...

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

I´m with DD here, if the dimming got worse with the big3 then you did something wrong hommie, just saying...

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

I would get the big 3 done ASAP. And if that doesn't help check ALL your chassis and frame grounds, alt groud, motor ground, EVERYTHING. Also, throw a MM on your alt one time to see what it is charging at. See what kind of current is ACTUALLY coming out of it.

BassinBlazer

JL[RF][Kenwood][AQ]

I need a new amp! Sell me your amp!

I´m with DD here, if the dimming got worse with the big3 then you did something wrong hommie, just saying...

Yes, I am aware of this. This has been established on another thread

Here is my big 3 fail thread