Okay so I am trying to decide if I want to lower my 1997 Honda Civic. The suspension is currently all stock, but I took it in the other day and it needs some suspension work done due to normal wear and tear(rear trailing arm) so I figured while I'm getting that done I mine as well lower it since I hate the wheel gap. So my question is what parts do I need to do this thing correctly. Can I just buy lowering springs and throw those on and expect a semi-decent ride with a 2" lower height. Or would you guys recommend getting some coilovers and struts and redoing the whole thing. I am not really that knowledgeable when it comes to suspensions so any input would be appreciated.

Okay so I am trying to decide if I want to lower my 1997 Honda Civic. The suspension is currently all stock, but I took it in the other day and it needs some suspension work done due to normal wear and tear(rear trailing arm) so I figured while I'm getting that done I mine as well lower it since I hate the wheel gap. So my question is what parts do I need to do this thing correctly. Can I just buy lowering springs and throw those on and expect a semi-decent ride with a 2" lower height. Or would you guys recommend getting some coilovers and struts and redoing the whole thing. I am not really that knowledgeable when it comes to suspensions so any input would be appreciated.

i have tein lowering springs and am about 4.5 inches lower than factory height with a quality ride. just be sure to go with a quality spring and dont cheap out when it comes to suspension

apparently you dont get the fact that the subaru was wrapped around a pole. and by the status of your comment, im guessing your mouth is too.

Vehicle: 1997 Honda Civic EX

Exterior: 55w 5k Headlights and 35w 3k JDM Fogs. Lowered. Sittin on steelies right now

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate P450.4

Batteries: Kinetik HC 800

Electrical: Big 3 in 1/0

Enclosure: n/a : (

Headunit: Clarion VZ409

Mids/Highs: Pheonix Gold Rsd6.5's in the Front Doors

Subwoofers: n/a : (

Wire: Knukoncepts 1/0 and 4g

Future Upgrades: 20% tint all around, GC/Koni coilovers, body work (fml) lol

How the hell did you get a 4.5" drop out of lowering springs? Tein coilovers don't even allow that much drop

OP... How much are you willing to spend? We can give you multiple options once you give us a price point

How the hell did you get a 4.5" drop out of lowering springs? Tein coilovers don't even allow that much drop

OP... How much are you willing to spend? We can give you multiple options once you give us a price point

My budget is somewhere in the 5-600 range I figure I could pick up some nice springs and later on some decent shocks. If I go the road Steve Meade did on his Lexus with the Road Magnet springs would that provide a smooth ride or would it be advisable to also upgrade the shocks and if I would need shocks what brand would you recommend? In addition as I was researching I read up that if you drop the car significantly you can run into camber alignment issues, would a 1.75" or 2.25" drop effect the camber alignment of my car to a point that would negatively effect tire wear/cause performance problems?

My budget is somewhere in the 5-600 range I figure I could pick up some nice springs and later on some decent shocks. If I go the road Steve Meade did on his Lexus with the Road Magnet springs would that provide a smooth ride or would it be advisable to also upgrade the shocks and if I would need shocks what brand would you recommend? In addition as I was researching I read up that if you drop the car significantly you can run into camber alignment issues, would a 1.75" or 2.25" drop effect the camber alignment of my car to a point that would negatively effect tire wear/cause performance problems?

go with these if you insist on buying brand new stuff

http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/product.php?productid=19144&cat=1922&page=1

If you want to raise your budget and get the absolute best ride money can buy, pick up these. I had this setup and I have at least 30 people that can vouche for me and say that my car rode better at that height then their honda's did with stock suspension

http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/product.php?productid=18820&cat=1170&page=1

IMG_0260.jpg

do you get snow AT ALL... if so, the answer is NO DONT LOWER IT... my integra is lowered, and ill be making it higher soon.... i didnt get to drive it AT ALL over the winter here in ohio... 1" of snow on the ground and im dead in the water.

so, if you only have this car to drive, and you get snow... DONT DO IT

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

do you get snow AT ALL... if so, the answer is NO DONT LOWER IT... my integra is lowered, and ill be making it higher soon.... i didnt get to drive it AT ALL over the winter here in ohio... 1" of snow on the ground and im dead in the water.

so, if you only have this car to drive, and you get snow... DONT DO IT

Studded snows FTW, unless u have another vehicle to drive my sht got stuck twice but took out the good ol 4WD Jimmy

Make sure you get front and rear camber kits, that neg camber BS looks stupid IMO :pardon:

Id go with those Konig's they have a nice price tag but Ive also heard good thing from them

I drove the car I posted everyday for 2 years. Only got stuck once wHen it had snowed 5 inches while I was at work

And as long as you're smart and not cheap, you can raise it to stock height as long as you get coilovers like i suggested. Lowering springs are not the way to go at all. With the set I had I could raise it to stock height and go as low as letting the tow hook sit flat on the ground

You said ~$600. DO NOT waste that $600 on sub-par equipment. Wait a little longer, spend the extra money once, and be very very happy you listened to me lol

Archived