Second Skin Audio

Punch P3 a Decent Bandpass Woofer?

I recently hooked up a system in my girlfriends car. Nothing major, its just an older punch 500-2 and a punch p3 12.

The sub came in a tiny sealed box (bought it secondhand), and I can't stand the weak output it has (Its also got crap for low end). I know this woofer could do alot better in a proper box. I was just wondering if someone who has experience with bandpasses thinks this would be a decent speaker for a 4th order?

If not, I will just build a regular ported box. Any suggestions?

It'd help if you'd post the t/s or a link to them. But from what I remember, the P3 is a decent sealed box/4th order BP type of sub. The sealed box you have is probably just too small. BP will definitely give you a lot more output though.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

The speaker is in a 1 ft box, so it is within Rockford's specs, it just has that tiny sealed box sound which I am not fond of.

This is what I found on the Rockford website. I hope that this woofer will work for a 4th order, I have built sealed and ported boxes before but I have been wanting to do a bandpass for a while.

Sealed

Vb (min.) 0.75 cu. ft.

Vb 1.00 cu. ft.

Vb (max.) 1.25 cu. ft.

F3 41.5 Hz

Qtc 0.762

Height 14 in.

Width 19.25 in.

Depth 10 in.

Spk. Cutout 11.25 in.

Spk. Depth 6.75 in.

Vd 0.094 cu. ft.

Vented Enclosure

Vb (min.) 1.50 cu. ft.

Vb 1.79 cu. ft.

Vb (max.) 2.10 cu. ft.

Fb 40 Hz

F3 32 Hz

Height 14 in.

Width 26.25 in.

Depth 12 in.

Np 1 port

Dp 4 in. diameter

Lp 10 in. long

Spk. Cutout 11.25 in.

Spk. Depth 6.75 in.

Vd 0.094 cu. ft.

Vp 0.073 cu. ft.

Ram, what exactly are the parameters you need to take a look at if you are thinking of building a 4th order?? i see everybody doing 4th orders this days on any sub so that's why i'm curious, i;ve designed a few and they have worked AWESOME on every sub, maybe i was lucky, i would love to know this for sure, thanks man...

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

I put a pair of RF 10's in my girls car running off of a R500-1, they came in a prefab box that I hatedso I made up a ported 1.5 ft box and it woke them up. Try a ported box b4 the bandpass.

1. Ported will give nice output

2. Smaller and easier to build

3. If not happy, do the bandpass

Good Luck

Steven

Does this smell funny to you? Its your sister :roflmao:

Throw it in a ported box and that sub will come alive, i had two p312's in a ported box and i installed two of the same subs in my buddies car same power only differences his was sealed , built the boxes to Rockford's specs his sounded good but had the same issue was lacking on the low end.

2007 Chevy Impala LS

1 Crescendo 3KWP

1Crescendo C1000/4

2 DC lvl 4 15's with lvl5 dual .7 coils

1Audio Control Matrix

1 Pioneer P880PRS

1 300 amp Iraggi alt

All power runs done with Knu flex 0/1 guage

1 optima yellow top under the hood

1 XS 5100 and two Deka's in the trunk

4 Crescendo MP-8 mid bass drivers

2 DB Drive p5 5 D Pro Audio tweeters

maybe just for testing, you could open a hole and get a crappy pvc tube externally hehe, i did that on a test and gained a huge lol, you are throwing the box to the garbage anyways so you could do something fun with it first

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

maybe just for testing, you could open a hole and get a crappy pvc tube externally hehe, i did that on a test and gained a huge lol, you are throwing the box to the garbage anyways so you could do something fun with it first

That is a good thought, might as well experiment if its going to get chucked anyways! Maybe some 4 inch PVC?