Jeep is sputtering or misfiring MORE INFO ON PG 4

Could be carbon build up? Seafoam it maybe??

I have heard mixed things about seafoam... But i will try it sooner or later... Trying to narrow down the strongest possibility so im not just throwing money and random parts that dont need to be replaced if you know what i mean.

Right now i have 4 people just on forums telling me it could very well be the ignition coil failing.

I think thats what im going to look into first. I might have a extra one out in the garage From my last pull a part trip to swap out and at least test it. Idk yet tho.

Ok guys just went out to grab lunch and IT DID IT... My cam decided to die for some reason but i got that shit on my blackberry cam.

Uploading it now. It literally started in the drive through... I pulled to the road... 20 seconds later when i pull onto the street... It quit.

Its idling pretty rough now... Almost like it has a oversized cam in it.

th_VID00027-20110509-1220.jpg

First 7 seconds of the video is where it does it, Then i sit there for 20 seconds and it goes back to idling rough. :shrug:

Im pretty much dead set on coil now... Just thought i would post a video sense i said i would. Also the sound is coming from the exhaust and not under the hood... For those wondering. Only sound you can hear under there is a loud lifter ticking away. There notorious for doing that on the 4.0 I6s from what i hear

i would do a full tune up

plugs,wires,air filter,fuel filter

That sounded similar to my car when i had two bad sensors, o2 and tps only mine did it all the time.

Have you noticed shitty mpg? or is it pretty consistent with what its always been?

i would do a full tune up

plugs,wires,air filter,fuel filter

That sounded similar to my car when i had two bad sensors, o2 and tps only mine did it all the time.

Have you noticed shitty mpg? or is it pretty consistent with what its always been?

Done did a tune up, Only thing i didnt do is a fuel filter and wires which i plan on doing

Also its a jeep. Its redefines the term "SHITTY GAS MILEAGE"

somethings I would look at

MAF >>> hit it LIGHTLY hammer

if it gets better it's dirty or clogged

if it dies or gets worse the sensor it's self is bad

check vacuum leaks

check all of your vacuum lines

take a bottle of carb and choke cleaner and spray around the gasket lines and such

if this makes it run smoother your have a huge vacuum leak

pull vacuum line off of the fuel regulator

this should make it run super rich

smell the vacuum line>>>if it smells gas replace it/it's bad regardless of your other problems

if it's sucking gas through the regulator then the will cause a bad idle too but won't effect it going down the highway (shouldn't anyways)

if it has an EGR valve physically remove it from the intake and plug the hole up super tight

if this makes a change the EGR valve could be stuck in one position

or just needs to be cleaned out

OBI is a pain to try and diagnose from. I wouldn't go blaming the O2 sensor until you can get a scope on them or some live readings from scan tool data (autodon't won't have a scanner that can do this).

you can ASSUME you've got decent compression on all cylinders just because it runs, but that doesn't mean anything if you have a blown head gasket or intake gasket.

take the snorkel (the intake tube) off, have someone crank it for you and see if your getting air come out of the throttle body. it would be a good idea to unplug the fuel pump relay when doing this. DON't crank for more than 20 seconds at a time though, bad things will start to happen.

I would also pull a couple plugs out and see if there is excessive oil or the scent of gas on them

check the plugs right after a start up, run it for about 30 seconds to a minute. You just want things to get lubed and fuel start to flow correctly. if there is gas on the plugs your compensating for extra air that the MAF doesn't know that's in there. and if that's the case the O2 sensors are working how they should.

if you can think about any other symptoms lets us know. and can you clarify one when this actually happens? completely warmed up or off a cold start. sometimes that will help weed somethings out.

I hope the helps if you have and questions feel free to ask.

The

HOOK!!

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.

somethings I would look at

MAF >>> hit it LIGHTLY hammer

if it gets better it's dirty or clogged

if it dies or gets worse the sensor it's self is bad

check vacuum leaks

check all of your vacuum lines

take a bottle of carb and choke cleaner and spray around the gasket lines and such

if this makes it run smoother your have a huge vacuum leak

pull vacuum line off of the fuel regulator

this should make it run super rich

smell the vacuum line>>>if it smells gas replace it/it's bad regardless of your other problems

if it's sucking gas through the regulator then the will cause a bad idle too but won't effect it going down the highway (shouldn't anyways)

if it has an EGR valve physically remove it from the intake and plug the hole up super tight

if this makes a change the EGR valve could be stuck in one position

or just needs to be cleaned out

OBI is a pain to try and diagnose from. I wouldn't go blaming the O2 sensor until you can get a scope on them or some live readings from scan tool data (autodon't won't have a scanner that can do this).

you can ASSUME you've got decent compression on all cylinders just because it runs, but that doesn't mean anything if you have a blown head gasket or intake gasket.

take the snorkel (the intake tube) off, have someone crank it for you and see if your getting air come out of the throttle body. it would be a good idea to unplug the fuel pump relay when doing this. DON't crank for more than 20 seconds at a time though, bad things will start to happen.

I would also pull a couple plugs out and see if there is excessive oil or the scent of gas on them

check the plugs right after a start up, run it for about 30 seconds to a minute. You just want things to get lubed and fuel start to flow correctly. if there is gas on the plugs your compensating for extra air that the MAF doesn't know that's in there. and if that's the case the O2 sensors are working how they should.

if you can think about any other symptoms lets us know. and can you clarify one when this actually happens? completely warmed up or off a cold start. sometimes that will help weed somethings out.

I hope the helps if you have and questions feel free to ask.

The

HOOK!!

Ok man, I just went to pick up my brother and here is what happens now just about any time i start the jeep...

Its idels really rough, I take of and 9/10 it will be fine, I come to my desination and turn the truck off. Start it up and it starts the sputtering/ Misfire. This time on the way home i got a good scent of unburnt gas which bring me to believe that Something down the line (ignition coil, Sparks plugs or wires) have failed. I just replaced the ignition cap and rotor about 4 days ago which easied the problems... But now there slowly creeping back.

As far as a intake gasket leak i will check that, I just replaced the Intake/exhaust manifold gasket when i put the new exhaust manifold on. I got a can or carb cleaner in the garage i can spray and try to find vacume leaks but im SURE that the intake gasket is fine.

141_0679.jpg

Here goes the engine when i had just tore it down to replace the exhaust manifold, Notice the old intake/exhaust gasket.

I replace that when i put this on

141_0673.jpg

have you spark tested your coils yet? if they can spark a spark tester then it will have no issue firing plugs under compression. if your getting extra gas you are either getting unmetered air your regulator is bad, an o2 sensor could've died, or you've got a cat issue. your not in cali are you? sorry to lazy to check. another thing you can check is hold the spark plug wire about an inch from a good ground (don't use the battery you could explode yourself).

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.

When mine did this it was the 02 sensor in the rear exhaust. I went through water up over my door panels (my jeep is completely stock lmao) and I stalled it and by the time I got it started and out water made its way to my 02 sensor, ran like shit for 2-3 days then engine light came on did a code check it was the 02 sensor.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200