Alternator Belt Squeel.

The Pulley is actually the same size, but i did notice when i had both of them out of the car the stock alt spun with ease and the HO alt barely spun.. Is this something that will maybe work itself out? or does the pulley need a little bit of Lubin up love?

2 Fi BTL N2 18s Fully LoadedSundown Audio NS-1Kenwood 845 HU Clarion EQ4 Juicebox 3100sKnu Wire"Big 3"Mechman 270a156.3dBTeam GG.

A HO alt will be harder to turn. And won't spin freely as long. There is more mass attached to the shaft and more magnetic resistance.

If it turned just as easy as stock, don't you think cars would have more powerful alternators?(Not the only issue i know but i'm just sayin.)

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Sometimes its the nature of the beast. The alt is flat out harder to turn. Get a new belt, that will clear is up for a while.

Sorry this?

crunk, the reason for this is because the alternator puts out power when its spun. When you have a heavy load on the alternator, the more it demands it to be spun faster to keep the alternator up with the current demand. Thats why if you ever notice when you are at idle and you put a huge strain on your alternator that your voltage will drop and so will your engine RPM's. This is due to the alt trying to get that speed to put out the amperage but not getting any since you are at such a low engine speed.

Think of the alternator working hard like this...

If you had a wagon and you were pulling it by hand it wouldnt be hard. Now add some dead weight like for example sand bags and then pull it. It will take some extra strength to get it moving. This is because you are straining yourself to try and make up for the extra load you are demanding to keep up with. The same type of deal works with your alternator. The more strain you put on the alt to put out more power, the more it will get harder to spin the pulley around for it as it has to make up for the power demand by getting more speed. This is why most ppl with high output alts say that their belt squeals at low engine speeds or at any speed but when they have excessive loads on it. The more of a load you place on a alternator, the harder it is to spin that pulley around.

Thats why Matt from mechman recommends getting a new belt and possibly a new tensioner for your engine as the tighter the belt is, the less slack it will have for the alternator to start slipping and cause it to squeal. Believe me when i say i had a stock belt on my truck and it was so damn loose that just powering my little 2500w amp it was slipping the belt on the pulley of the alternator. When i got a belt that was 1 inch smaller than the stock belt it worked perfectly. It was a pain in the ass to get it slipped over my tensioner pulley but it worked out in the end.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

i don't seem to have this problem with mine never changed belt etc. but mine is a ohiogen alt. but i know someone having this same problem i cant remember what company made his thou. ill have to check

2009 Malibu LTZHead Unit - Pioneer AVH-P4300DVDSubs - 2 DC Audio m2 XL 15'sAmplifier - DC 5kWire - KnukonceptzAlternator - OhioGenBatteries - 2 XS Power 3100's, 1 d4700

i don't seem to have this problem with mine never changed belt etc. but mine is a ohiogen alt. but i know someone having this same problem i cant remember what company made his thou. ill have to check

Cool story bro?

Where in PA are you?

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

had the same problem. squeels like no other. the reason why it did that in my car is simply that the belt was loose. when i tighten it up, matching the same tightness as the other belts(factory belt btw), havent had that problem since. try tighten it up a bit, if the problem still occurs, get a new one.

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

NVM just read your post Audio :drinks:

Youre welcome bro. I know i talk and drone on when i explain stuff on here but i cant really think of a easy way to describe stuff sometimes. And even if i do, it may not be something somebody else can understand. But thats pretty much what happens with h/o alts. The more strain to put out power, the harder that pulley is to spin and if your belt is loose, worn out, or glazed over the more you raise the risk to slip that belt and not get the alt to spin for a second or two.

What i recommend doing is to get a new belt, a can or two of brake part cleaner, and a rag (i prefer a rag over paper towels but paper towels will work but you may get them to get stuck and rip on your pulleys such as your air compressor).

When i replaced the belt on my envoy and my oldsmobile, i took the old belt off and before i put the new belt on i made sure that by simply putting the belt on all of the pulleys and see if the tensioner would get back far enough for you to slip the belt onto. If this does NOT happen then your belt is too loose. With my car and truck i got the belt so tight that i had to use a breaker bar and a 4 foot long fence pole to get the damn thing bent far enough back so i could slip the belt over it. I had the pulley move back maybe at most 1/8 of a inch when i put the belt onto it from being fully extended to tightening the belt. Yea i know someones going to say thats too tight but i have never busted a belt nor have i had belt slip. Now my envoy i do get belt slip only if i slam the gas down and it will slip for a fraction of a second when it downshifts but thats the only time it slips.

But if your belt does fit then i took the rag and sprayed brake cleaner onto it and cleaned all of the pulleys of my engine. NOTE: do NOT use sand paper, steel wool pads, or anything abrasive like this on the pulleys as it will damage them and you can get pieces stuck and ruin your belt. But i cleaned all the pulleys off and put the belt on and it works perfectly.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Lem I wouldn't oil anything on the alt. and Audio I bought a belt bigger because the stock belt was to small. now squeaks on start up after car has sat over night or a few hours. My car has no auto tensioner just a set screw that the more you tighten screw the tighter belt gets. That screw is already 1/2 inch from the cross screw that goes into alt ear to hold it in place limit on bracket. I wonder how tight it should be if it needs more fine but I don't want mess up the alt over tightening the belt.

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg