Florida law banning loud car music ruled Unconstitutional

Florida law banning loud car music ruled unconstitutional

Click Here for Link to article

Updated: Thursday, 12 May 2011, 5:23 AM EDT

Published : Thursday, 12 May 2011, 5:19 AM EDT

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) - A state law making it illegal to blast loud music or other audio from a car stereo system has been declared unconstitutional.

A three-judge panel of the 2nd District Court of Appeal in Lakeland ruled Wednesday in a pair of Pinellas County cases. Both motorists were cited for playing their car radios too loudly.

The judges found the law is an unconstitutional suppression of free speech because it arbitrarily exempts vehicles used for business or political purposes.

They also ruled a provision making it illegal for sound to be "plainly audible" from 25 feet or more away from a vehicle was unconstitutionally vague.

The panel, though, agreed to certify the vagueness issue to the Florida Supreme Court for further review as a question of great public importance.

This is how it all started:

B0S_Catalano051211_174720c.jpg

St. Petersburg corporate lawyer Richard Catalano

By Frank Cerabino Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Posted: 11:12 p.m. Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Florida law that gives police officers the authority to issue traffic tickets to motorists for playing their music too loud was dealt a severe blow this week.

It all started four years ago with a Bronx-born lawyer.

Corporate lawyer Richard T. Catalano, 50, was driving his Infiniti sedan through St. Petersburg on his way to work. His windows were rolled up, he said, and he was listening to a song from Justin Timberlake.

"Yes, Justin Timberlake," he recalled Thursday. "I like Frank Sinatra, Pink Floyd, Motley Crue. But it just so happened on that morning that I was listening to Justin Timberlake. It's something that haunts me."

When Catalano got pulled over, the officer told him he was getting a ticket for playing his car's stereo loud enough to be "plainly audible" from 25 feet away.

"I said, 'You gotta be kidding. That's a ridiculous law.' "

Officer reveals the truth

So Catalano tried to fight the ticket in traffic court. He lost.

"After I did, a police officer came up to me and told me he was glad that I lost. He said, 'We use that statute all the time to pull people over and search for drugs.' '

The state defines its "plainly audible" standard this way:

"The officer need not determine the particular words or phrases being produced or the name of any song or artist producing the sound. The detection of a rhythmic bass reverberating type sound is sufficient to constitute a plainly audible sound."

And that just made Catalano angry, concluding that the law was just a pretense for getting around probable-cause requirements for legal search and seizures.

"It's like, pull over the black guy and check him out for drugs," Catalano said. "There's right and wrong, and this is just wrong."

So he appealed the ticket, challenging it as unconstitutional. And this week, a three-judge panel at the 2nd District Court of Appeal in Lakeland agreed.

The judges determined that the state law was unconstitutional because it was not "content-neutral."

Ruse to let cops pick on folks

The noise law forbids some vehicle stereo sounds while making no restriction on music or any other sounds coming from vehicles if they're for commercial or political purposes.

So if an ice cream truck plays Pop Goes the Weasel at a volume that can be heard blocks away, that's not a violation because it has a commercial purpose. Or if a political candidate or activist blasts the theme song from Rocky as he bellows on a bullhorn from the back of a flatbed truck, that can't be a noise violation because it's noise for political purposes.

But if a police officer detects a bass beat from a teenager's car at a distance of four or five body lengths away, that's an occasion for a traffic stop and citation.

Judge Anthony Black, writing for the appeals court, used this example:

"In other words, an individual using a vehicle for business purposes could, for example, listen to political talk radio at a volume clearly audible from a quarter mile; however, an individual sitting in a personal vehicle that is parked next to the business vehicle is subject to a citation if the individual is listening to music or religious programming that is clearly audible at 25 feet."

The court ruling pointed out that the 2007 noise law doesn't treat all noise equally, and is therefore unconstitutional by considering the content of the noise as the determinant of whether or not it's permissible.

The ruling comes after a doomed attempt in the just-completed session of the state legislature to increase fines in this law, and after the city of Sarasota briefly adopted an ordinance that impounded vehicles on the first infraction.

The issue may still take another turn if this week's appeals court ruling is taken up by the state's Supreme Court.

But for now, Catalano feels vindicated.

"I told the cop who pulled me over, 'You got the wrong guy, my friend. I'm a boy from The Bronx.' "

oh shit i love it! don't forget to email the guy and thank him [email protected]

Wait so did it pass or not? :trippy:

You know how you avoid that? Man the fuck up and bang her best friend sister mom cousin worst enemy and never look back.

JUST SAY ANTI-AUDIOPIPE

"The judges found the law is an unconstitutional suppression of free speech because it arbitrarily exempts vehicles used for business or political purposes.

They also ruled a provision making it illegal for sound to be "plainly audible" from 25 feet or more away from a vehicle was unconstitutionally vague."

No, its not banned

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

"The judges found the law is an unconstitutional suppression of free speech because it arbitrarily exempts vehicles used for business or political purposes.

They also ruled a provision making it illegal for sound to be "plainly audible" from 25 feet or more away from a vehicle was unconstitutionally vague."

No, its not banned...but if its heard from 25+ ft away, you can be fined.

No. You can play as loud as want anywhere you want.

The 25ft + law is what they got rid of

SMDSIG799x74.jpg

BHE Wall Build

TEAM DC Audio

TEAM XS POWER
1986 Monte Carlo

KMC Nova's 20"
4 DC XL's W/ PSI Recones
2 DC 5k's
Pioneer PRS 80
10 Audio Technix

6 XS Power D3100's

1 XS Power D3400

Mechman 220a Alternator

No, its not banned...but if its heard from 25+ ft away, you can be fined.

No. You can play as loud as want anywhere you want.

The 25ft + law is what they got rid of

damn WF is gunna be fun next year!!! =]

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpgth_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifsoundigital.pngth_Banner_140x100.jpgn221468318568_2854.jpg

8_RedDevillogo.pngteamtexflex-1.jpg

Oh, whoops. I just skimmed it. I think I need some sleep :(

Thanks for the correction though :D

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

so if anyone gets a ticket, take it to court with this judgment as your defense. some one needs to buy those two bass heads a beer and a lap dance. they are my new heroes.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

dammit I was actually hoping they would make the 25 ft rule nation wide

What's your reasoning?

SMDSIG799x74.jpg

BHE Wall Build

TEAM DC Audio

TEAM XS POWER
1986 Monte Carlo

KMC Nova's 20"
4 DC XL's W/ PSI Recones
2 DC 5k's
Pioneer PRS 80
10 Audio Technix