If you have EGR valvle codes have it changed quick. IF you don't this will only lead to more costly repairs in the near future. Once your engine sets a code it will no longer meter the fuel properly and goe sinto a default mode. When you continue to drive the next things that happen will be possible bad 02 sensor(s), clogged catalytic converter (or worse it could breakup and end up in your muffler), and or burnt plugs.

If you are handy go to your local Autozone and have them check the code to verify. Replace the valve or what ever other component is setting the code and hope other damage hasn't already been done. The cost of the repair will be made up quickly just in gas milage.

Also, contrary to popular belief, always run premium gas, it really does make a difference.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

what is the code? and yes it can

I've got a 2001 Impala 3.8L with some mods done to it, top swapped Gen V supercharger, cammed, and more. Around town my average MPG that I calculate by the trip, dividing that by the amount of gas I get when I fill up is around 16.5 - 17 mpg. That of course is because I'm a 16 year old high school student who likes to beat on a car that's rather fast haha...anyways. These cars get horrible gas mileage around town in stop and go traffic. On highway they'll easily get 31mpg though; go figure.

your city mpg sounds about right compared to what I get...

First System

2002 Impala LS 3.8L V6, 128,365k miles.

Alternator: DC Power 190Amp H/O Alternator

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U.

Speakers: MBQuart 6.5" Comps, 6x9 3-way.

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Subwoofers: 2 REAudio SRX12D2 wired to 2 ohm.

Box: 3.1cuft box tuned to 33hz. sealed off to cabin

Big 3- done with all Knukonceptz KCA 0 gauge.

Don't drop below 14.1v at full tilt. :)

I've got a 2001 Impala 3.8L with some mods done to it, top swapped Gen V supercharger, cammed, and more. Around town my average MPG that I calculate by the trip, dividing that by the amount of gas I get when I fill up is around 16.5 - 17 mpg. That of course is because I'm a 16 year old high school student who likes to beat on a car that's rather fast haha...anyways. These cars get horrible gas mileage around town in stop and go traffic. On highway they'll easily get 31mpg though; go figure.

your city mpg sounds about right compared to what I get...

I don't gun on mine though unless I'm enroute to the FD, and even then I don't go more than 65-70mph in 55mph zones.

Well, either way I went ahead and got another EGR valve, so we're gonna see how that goes.

Edited by iceman1575

POTATO!

Also check your PCV valve. I don't know about the L36's, but I know on the L67's they're crammed down in a corner where people like to forget about them until they fail. It's like a three dollar part.

While you're at it a tune-up can help as well. Plugs wires filters etc etc. I noticed a bit of a gain with a CAI and mild exhaust as well, but if you're just looking to get back to stock mileage you won't have to go that far. 3.8's tend to sound cruddy with exhausts anyhow :peepwall:

Too many projects, too little time...

Well, definitely made a difference. I got about 290 miles on a tank this fill up, maybe see if it was just a bad tank. :pardon::yahoo:

Also check your PCV valve. I don't know about the L36's, but I know on the L67's they're crammed down in a corner where people like to forget about them until they fail. It's like a three dollar part.

While you're at it a tune-up can help as well. Plugs wires filters etc etc. I noticed a bit of a gain with a CAI and mild exhaust as well, but if you're just looking to get back to stock mileage you won't have to go that far. 3.8's tend to sound cruddy with exhausts anyhow :peepwall:

I'll take a look at the codes tomorrow & see if there's anything about a PCV valve. Done the plugs & wires about this time last year, and the air filter's fine...been wanting a CAI but don't have the cash to do it, or the poor man's CAI...

I love the sound of my 3.8 on the stock exhaust. Has that low roar without being loud & annoying. Just gotta find me some chrome tips to put on mine.

Edited by iceman1575

POTATO!