Stinger volt meter install

Just received some stuff from darvex and in there was a stinger volt meter...i was wondering where is the best place to connect it? I was gonna do its using my amps power/ground/control connects but i want it on my dash...will voltage readings be affected if i add some extension wires of the same gauge size as the volt meter has? Please add ur .02 cuz im kinda bummed out.

Yes you can add wires to it and it wont affect it. If it does at all. I would connect it to your amp or batteries in the back (If you have any).

That way you know how much voltage the amps are seeing because voltage from front batteries to back batteries can differ slightly.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

adding length to the wire will not effect the voltage reading what so ever

make sure you calibrate the volt meter also

hook it to your amps power/ground, thats where you wanna keep a eye on the voltage at :good:

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer

If you wire it up to the headunit wiring then it's probably going to be a little higher voltage then the rear where the amp(s) are.

You could run wiring all the way to back, shouldn't have a problem, I did it with no issues.

Another thing you could do, the stinger lcd meters have to be calibrated using a dmm, you could use a dmm to check the voltage at your headunit, then check the voltage at the rear where the amp(s) are. Say at the headunit you had 14.5v and at the amp(s) you had 14.3v

You could calibrate the stinger meter so it would read 14.3 at the front, then you'd know what the rear was. I don't see why this wouldn't work as long as your connections don't come loose, etc.

Honestly if it was me, I'd just wire it to the front, watch that voltage, and know in the back of your head that you have 00.xx voltage drop to the rear. (not a huge deal)

sighl.jpg

X2 ^^^

I've had the red Stinger voltmeter for about 9-10 months and the middle number is starting to die. lol Nice like meter though.

Don't forget to use a DMM to get a accurate reading.

Derp.

Stefan, the problem with that is the slight difference in voltage from front to back is probably not a constant .xx reading difference. It probably slightly fluctuates, so you either wire to the front and know you that to the back its probably slightly different, or hookup to your amps to KNOW you have the right voltage.

Should be some dials on the back to set your reading up or down.

IIRC it comes with instructions on calibration so you might reference that as well. But if not, take the cover off and there is a nob inside that can be turned with a small flat head. Once the meter is set up and reading voltage, connect a dmm to read at the same point the meter is connected to and then turn the nob until they both read the same. When i got mine it was only off by about .2 volts.

Good Luck!

Team NorthWestSPL

Stefan, the problem with that is the slight difference in voltage from front to back is probably not a constant .xx reading difference. It probably slightly fluctuates, so you either wire to the front and know you that to the back its probably slightly different, or hookup to your amps to KNOW you have the right voltage.

Should be some dials on the back to set your reading up or down.

Yeah and since every build is different you never really know how much that fluctuation will be. So OP just wire to one or the other.

As far as calibration, check voltage with a dmm. Then hook up stinger meter, then adjust dial on back until it matches the voltage from the dmm.

sighl.jpg

Archived