Sundown Audio

wiring 2 orion 1200 D amps

I recently upgraded my system from 2 12's to 4 12's. i got the same subs, the same amp, same amp kit, same speaker wire, same box, new optima yellow top battery, the whole nine yards. In doing so i havent really made a drastic sound improvement. my 2 12's i had hit very well and i thought i could just duplicate everything and i would be fine, but thats not the case. yes the system is louder but it is not shaking your eyes out of your head like you would expect. my setup is... 4 08S12 kicker L5 12's 4 ohms each, wired as pairs down to 1 ohm. 2 subs per amp. the amps are 2 orion 1200D amps. so my dilema is, why am i not getting the bass resonse i was expecting? is it a signal problem? H.U problem? encloser problem? the enclosers are 2 5.68ft3 tuned to 30hz. i had to use y splitters coming out of the head unit because my output on the amps keep giving me a 32Hz humm coming from the 2nd amp. i really am stumped, i know this alot to take in, if i can get some input i will try to explain it better... thanks for any help i get.

Have you done big 3?

What type of alternator do you have? And what type of batteries?

If you have stock electrical, or didn't do any electrical upgrades when adding the second amp, then you wont hear that much of a difference.

1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Hertz Mille MLK-165 Component System

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-165, 6.5

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-690 (6x9s)

Audison Voce AV K6 Component System

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

XS Power D3400 (under hood) Three XS Power D3100 (trunk)

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

DC Power Engineering 390XP H/O Alternator

no i have not done the big 3. i was not sure if i should use 4 guage or 0 guage for the new cables. the battery is a optima yellow top battery dual terminal, 750 cca, not sure about any othere battery details. but yea that makes sense as to why im not hearing a drastic improvement. im not sure what alt. i just put on there, i replaced stock alt. last summer but im not sure as to size or power.

Have you done big 3?

What type of alternator do you have? And what type of batteries?

If you have stock electrical, or didn't do any electrical upgrades when adding the second amp, then you wont hear that much of a difference.

those amps are strappable and they saw big gains from doing so.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

The first thing you need to consider is your box. Do you have the proper enclosure, port area, etc from the box that you currently have now ? What box are you using? Who built it? What's it tuned to? I can assure you if you are using the old 1200d models ( crome) ones that the amps are not your issue. In testing ( and I have done just about all the testing you could do with the older Orion stuff as I used to be sponsored by them) I can tell you that 2x1200's strapped were STRONGER than a single 2500d. I would look into getting a single enclosure instead of using 2x of the same boxes you have. Just an opinion but then again what da hell do i know :unknw:

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

The boxes i am using were built by me, with 3/4" mfd... the boxes are 5 cubes after all displacement. They are tuned to 30 hz. A little too low i know. But thanks for the info and opinions, really helps. But my only question is... how do i strap the two amps together? I have never done that before, in a newb. quote name='sensai' timestamp='1308142550' post='1570265']

The first thing you need to consider is your box. Do you have the proper enclosure, port area, etc from the box that you currently have now ? What box are you using? Who built it? What's it tuned to? I can assure you if you are using the old 1200d models ( crome) ones that the amps are not your issue. In testing ( and I have done just about all the testing you could do with the older Orion stuff as I used to be sponsored by them) I can tell you that 2x1200's strapped were STRONGER than a single 2500d. I would look into getting a single enclosure instead of using 2x of the same boxes you have. Just an opinion but then again what da hell do i know :unknw:

yes they are beasts. If you can wait i can get a picture of the manual when i get home. I believe I still have one.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.