Sonic Electronix

Hey guys, well you know how you set the wattage from your amp, to set it lets say to 500watts. Well when you turn your volume at the headunit up, the bass goes up as well so im assuming putting in more wattage to your sub. So when you have 500watts set, and you turn the volume up, can it go over that limit? Im confused on this, sorry if i can't be more clear. Thanks

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

Hey guys, well you know how you set the wattage from your amp, to set it lets say to 500watts. Well when you turn your volume at the headunit up, the bass goes up as well so im assuming putting in more wattage to your sub. So when you have 500watts set, and you turn the volume up, can it go over that limit? Im confused on this, sorry if i can't be more clear. Thanks

Hmmm...where to start.

"well you know how you set the wattage from your amp"

What do you mean by the above statement?

Maybe it will be easier to tell us what type of equipment you have and what you are accomplish.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

You want to set your gain at desired listening level. That way you'll get, say 500w at 35 out of 50, if that's what you listen to music at...

I think :P

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Hmmm...where to start.

Maybe it will be easier to tell us what type of equipment you have and what you are accomplish.

Sorry i mean the gain, when you set it to 500w. Then turn the head unit up to lets say 40/50, as you gradually turn up your head unit the bass on the sub goes up as well. So that means more wattage is being pushed to it. When you set the gain on the amp, is that the SET limit for the sub, no matter how high you set your volume on the headunit, that at all times the amp won't let more than 500w go to the sub? Im not trying to accomplish anything with what i have now, other than to learn this, so in the future i know more, and don't blow anything hehe.

Check out my build log:

You want to set your gain at desired listening level. That way you'll get, say 500w at 35 out of 50, if that's what you listen to music at...

correct. now if you turn it past 35 (in this example) you will get more power. HOWEVER, you will also get clipping if you have tuned the amp for 500w from a 500w amp. so you get more power but it'll be a square wave. the speaker moves less and builds up a lot more heat.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Basically, when the volume on the headunit is turned down, you are getting minimal power to your amp. As your headunit volume is turned up, it pushes more power to your amp up to your 500 watts, until you stop clipping. That being said, 'setting the watts' on your amp isn't really how this works...

Hmmm...where to start.

Sorry i mean the gain, when you set it to 500w. Then turn the head unit up to lets say 40/50, as you gradually turn up your head unit the bass on the sub goes up as well. So that means more wattage is being pushed to it. When you set the gain on the amp, is that the SET limit for the sub, no matter how high you set your volume on the headunit, that at all times the amp won't let more than 500w go to the sub? Im not trying to accomplish anything with what i have now, other than to learn this, so in the future i know more, and don't blow anything hehe.

turning the volume down means less power goes to the sub.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Hehe well that's exactly what i listen to it at as a matter of fact, sorry if the question isn't as clear. OHH okay i understand what your saying Supercharged, Turn the volume to what i desire to listen to it at then set the gain. Hopefully that's how it works.

Check out my build log:

Alright well i thinkeveryone cleared this up for me, let me repeat it though, so all i have to do is set it at the desired level i would like to listen to it at, and then turn my gain to what it should be set the rms of the sub, so if the rms of the sub is 500 turn my music to 35, what i listen to it at then set the amp to 500. Assuming i have a 1000wrms amp so there will be nothing but clean power. Tell me if im wrong please still new to this.

Check out my build log:

No. The circuitry of an amplifier is built to put out X watts at X ohms at X voltage. The amp's gain is set with the volume up on the HU and when you are turning the volume knob on your deck you are adjusting the AC input voltage to the amplifier. The amplifier is multiplying the input AC signal to produce an output AC signal. As soon as you are over the RMS wattage on your amp chances are you are clipping the signal and damaging the equipment.

Current Systems:

2011 BMW 335i

Hertz HDP1

DC LVL3 12" Full Carbon Fiber

2002 Acura Tl
Kenwood DNX9980HD
2 DCLVL4 12" Subs with LVL5 Parts D.7 Coils
DC 3.5k
Hertz HSK-165 up front HCX-165 Rear
Hertz HDP4 Amp
DC Power Engineering 260 Amp Alt
Big 3 and amp powered with KNU 1/0
XS Power D2400 Up Front

i pulled out my dick in class many of times and had it shown. get over it bitch...stupid open legged hairy beavered bitch...

going over rms = smaller box, under rms = bigger box...

Low voltage doesn't blow amps. That's a myth.

A router that does the sub holes makes rounded edges also?