06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

They came out pretty damn clean I think. I'm extremely pleased with them.

DSC05231.jpg

Not very good pics, but here's the second layer going on!

DSC05235.jpg

DSC05236.jpg

That's about it for the A Pillars tonight! I'll get some more work done with them tomorrow. Let's move on to the next project I worked on today!

I'm very very excited about this one and very happy with where I ended up today! I was very taken back by the tablet project last night, cause by the time I called it a night, I was really stumped as to how it was going to work together. So after working with it today and really taking my time and concentrating on it, and what I was doing and what step was next etc, I ended up the night on a very very pleasing note! Let's get to it!

So when I left off yesterday we had the pan with some extra on the sides and some trimming that was needed. Here's a little start off shot with the tablet in place.

DSC05211.jpg

The black lines were what needed to be trimmed a bit.

DSC05212.jpg

Got those done and as well, the top shaved off. I allowed about a half inch for the tablet to stick out, and after thinking about it now, I'm not 100% sure why. It's not like I'm going to be able to grab it from the top and pull it out. So I'm not sure yet if that was a good decision or not. We'll have to wait and find out a little later.

DSC05213.jpg

But here it is with the sides shaved and the top off.

DSC05214.jpg

DSC05215.jpg

Next it was time to put the base in. Remember that I'm not using the whole docking station, but just the base with the connection on it. I outlined before glassing, on the tape, where it needed to go. That made things a bit easier when it came time to do this.

DSC05216.jpg

Cut out and ready!

DSC05217.jpg

And there it is! IN! With hot glue for now, but it's in!

DSC05218.jpg

From the front!

DSC05219.jpg

Oh wait that was upside down!

DSC05220.jpg

So then I got the sharpie out, and started drawing on the old dash bezel!

DSC05221.jpg

Then I started cutting! I have to tell you this made me sad! Not the cutting, cause I'm ecstatic about that! No, I lost a good friend of mine right here! Mr. Dremel decided "EFF this" and up and quit on me mid cut! I was half way done and that was it! It shut off, never to restart again! Well thankfully, his brother was hanging out today, cause I quickly put him to work to complete the task! What a trooper his is! So much so that he's decided to stay now forever!

DSC05222.jpg

Then I trimmed the outside of the pan.

DSC05223.jpg

And got it set in the bezel! Oh this was such an exciting moment! WOW!

DSC05224.jpg

So I couldn't stand it! Had to get the tablet in right away! Right now! Oh and it sets it off! So happy!

DSC05225.jpg

Then I got out the Bit One DRC, and put it into place. I didn't get pics I guess, but I had to cut some of the bezel out in order to center it.

DSC05228.jpg

Both together!

DSC05227.jpg

As I said, very very happy!

So that's it for today! I think I got a lot done. Although maybe it doesn't show much, I really feel very good about todays work!

So, what is on my list of things to do for tomorrow. Well, I have to;

Make a face for the tablet pan.

Attach it to the pan and bezel.

Start glassing it, or filling it, or something to start the molding process.

I need to pick up some ABS for it, to do something about the sides. The gaps need to be filled.

Then;

I need to add some resin, or a milkshake something (I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS) to the inside of the pillars.

Start body filling the outside

cut out the speaker holes,

cut out the holes on the cfv plate

wrap the cfv plate.

I think that's gonna about do it. I have a feeling tomorrow is my last day to work on this this week. I want to get as much of the major work done with these things, so that I can jump out in the garage here and there from time to time for an hour, or half hour, or whatever and do little stuff to finish them off.

I'm not going ot get to the other things I wanted to get to, which were the component wall re build (although I may be taking that out of the equation now), finishing and altering the rear deck drawer, and lastly make a how to on the tablet install with the different components. Oh well, only so much time in the day.

Ok guys that's it. Thanks for tuning in, and I can't wait to see what tomorrow holds! Goodnight!

First off, looks AMAZING. Second, have you thought of maybe a faceplate/ trim piece to go all the way around the tablet? Like maybe cover half of the black space around the screen of the tablet. You may run into convenience-of-removal issues with the tablet, but at that point you could leave either a gap near the tab of the trim piece/ tablet so it slides upwards (and away from the dock) or make the trim piece a sort of tray that angles forward from the top (hinging on the bottom). That would be a good use for the slight over hang you allowed the tablet on top.

As for the A pillars (I know, I'm commenting on them in reverse order you presented them, but the tablets on my mind more), not sure of three things IMO. A: Will the CFV adhere to the 1/8" ply? It looks a bit rough in the pictures and doesnt vinyl like a smooth surface to adhere? B: Not sure of the CF texture/design will look in contrast to the smooth suede. C: Wont the orange color sorta have a sore thumb effect? From my recollection, that'll be the only orange in the car. The Bit One DRC is silver, the mids/tweets grills have some silver in them, the sub is mostly black, etc. Not much pre-existing orange if I recall.

And on a personal side note: how much was your Husky tool box and where'd you get it? I need a new toolbox and need one similar to that. My old clear plastic walmart one broke wide open when it fell two feet off the seat.

1999 GMC Suburban SLT
No system planned just yet.

Look at "hate" spelled backwards. It spells "e-tah." For example, if you hate me you can e-tah dick.

First off, looks AMAZING. Second, have you thought of maybe a faceplate/ trim piece to go all the way around the tablet? Like maybe cover half of the black space around the screen of the tablet. You may run into convenience-of-removal issues with the tablet, but at that point you could leave either a gap near the tab of the trim piece/ tablet so it slides upwards (and away from the dock) or make the trim piece a sort of tray that angles forward from the top (hinging on the bottom). That would be a good use for the slight over hang you allowed the tablet on top.

As for the A pillars (I know, I'm commenting on them in reverse order you presented them, but the tablets on my mind more), not sure of three things IMO. A: Will the CFV adhere to the 1/8" ply? It looks a bit rough in the pictures and doesnt vinyl like a smooth surface to adhere? B: Not sure of the CF texture/design will look in contrast to the smooth suede. C: Wont the orange color sorta have a sore thumb effect? From my recollection, that'll be the only orange in the car. The Bit One DRC is silver, the mids/tweets grills have some silver in them, the sub is mostly black, etc. Not much pre-existing orange if I recall.

And on a personal side note: how much was your Husky tool box and where'd you get it? I need a new toolbox and need one similar to that. My old clear plastic walmart one broke wide open when it fell two feet off the seat.

I dont think the cfv sticking to the wood will be a probkem, but ill be sanding ut anyway so that its smooth. I dont want and of the grain showing through. As far as the orange, i had already decided yesterday as i was putting the orange tape on to protect it, that it was going to be too much so the suede is going to be charcoal grey, and the cfv eill be black most likely.

Ive got some ideas about the face of the tablet ill be pulling off the bezel in the car today to see about room if there is enough room ill be doing an actuator to eject the whole pan so i can slide the tablt out. Wont know that until i yrst it out. I may do the hinged theory, and have the actuator push the top out a bit to remove it that way. Ill know more later when i get home. Had to get the truck smoged today for registration renewal.

More to come later.

lookin great bro keep up the good work, i am tuned in! :drink40:

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Archived