Second Skin Audio

x4 Good Car Audio Questions I Tried Too Avoid Asking.

Ok 3 Ive got some questions I tried too avoid by researching on google and didnt find jack.

Question#1: my solo x kicker has got some magnetic Dust in the gap of the motor. WHAT exactly are the bad things that CAN happen too a woofer, the is VERY little INFO about this ever happening too someone...cuz today i got my amp and gave it about 850 rms freeair and it got hot round 130-140degrees, super fast. just slightly too hot to touch by hand so just over the human touch temp what ever that is.

Now when i first got the sub i made a utube video of it on atleastttt 1500 rms and the coil was cold as a quecumber. Is this becuz the magnetik dust is standing on end and connecting the "ground" of the subwoofer VERY slightly too the coil? HOW WOULD I CLEAN IT OUT?

Question#2: Can u permently change the ohms in your woofer coil by overheating it? I know "WHILE" its hot it DOES, but is there a such thing as ahalf blown Amp killing coil?!?

Question#3: Does damping and dynamating your car by stoping flexing in your doors,roof,floorboard increase numbers on the mic? is it a human audible difference in sound? other then just rattle, but more spl?

Question#4: Ive heard about the "skin effect" of subwoofer cables, Usually on high frequencies. NOT sure what they consitered high freq...50hz is extremely high imo. Is it better too buy special "twisted pair" "shielded" speaker cable? Instead of just normal 8gauge too my woofer becuz of Skin effect in speaker cables?

Answer to question #3. yes damping and dynamating will increase you numbers. It stops wasted sound energy and makes everything louder.

ABC, I'm curious to why you say that. I know how it works, just curious to see your explanation, because you've been asking basic questions.

:rofl:

:wub: N8.

No homo...unless you want there to be. :orly3::ehh:

double post soz.

Edited by solosickness

Ride Stats:

2003 Ford focus Zx3 Hatch Walled System

X1 Solo X Kicker 18" "Enclosure: 7.8 cbft, Port Firing Into a Horn, On a 90*"

X1 Rockford Fosgate 40001bd "Now a Warhorse On my dresser"

x1 0g Big 3

x1 Kinetik 2400 "x4 Kinetik 2400's"

x1 Kinetik 1800

x2 Kinetik Special Edition True Silver Battery Terminals

x20 Gold Plated 0gauge 3/8 Ring Terminals

x25 Total ft: KnuKonceptz Kable 1/0 Silver Pearl* 2500+ Strands.

x15ft KnuKonceptz 8 Gauge.

-Soon Too Be Walled

Fav Quote:

They Dont Feal Me, But They Feal Me.

Ok 3 Ive got some questions I tried too avoid by researching on google and didnt find jack.

Question#1: my solo x kicker has got some magnetic Dust in the gap of the motor. WHAT exactly are the bad things that CAN happen too a woofer, the is VERY little INFO about this ever happening too someone...cuz today i got my amp and gave it about 850 rms freeair and it got hot round 130-140degrees, super fast. just slightly too hot to touch by hand so just over the human touch temp what ever that is.

Now when i first got the sub i made a utube video of it on atleastttt 1500 rms and the coil was cold as a quecumber. Is this becuz the magnetik dust is standing on end and connecting the "ground" of the subwoofer VERY slightly too the coil? HOW WOULD I CLEAN IT OUT?

Question#2: Can u permently change the ohms in your woofer coil by overheating it? I know "WHILE" its hot it DOES, but is there a such thing as ahalf blown Amp killing coil?!?

Question#3: Does damping and dynamating your car by stoping flexing in your doors,roof,floorboard increase numbers on the mic? is it a human audible difference in sound? other then just rattle, but more spl?

Question#4: Ive heard about the "skin effect" of subwoofer cables, Usually on high frequencies. NOT sure what they consitered high freq...50hz is extremely high imo. Is it better too buy special "twisted pair" "shielded" speaker cable? Instead of just normal 8gauge too my woofer becuz of Skin effect in speaker cables?

Answer to question #3. yes damping and dynamating will increase you numbers. It stops wasted sound energy and makes everything louder.

ABC, I'm curious to why you say that. I know how it works, just curious to see your explanation, because you've been asking basic questions.

yea me too! only one question or so half awnsered so far.

Ride Stats:

x1 0g Big 3

x1 Kinetik 1800

-Soon Too Be Walled

Fav Quote:

kk but looking for multiple awnsers on the damping question.

cuz results vary and im looking for real results with 2-3 layers before and after db.

Ride Stats:

x1 0g Big 3

x1 Kinetik 1800

-Soon Too Be Walled

Fav Quote:

1 havin anything in the gap of the sub othe than the former and the coil is bad. Either get it out or get a new sub. Damp cloth and or blow gun should do the trick.

2 no you can't. Must recone a sub to change nominal impedance.

3 it depends. Some people see better numbers some worse. From whati I have seen it always makes music sous better.

4 don't even worry about the skin effect. If you are using good quality cable there is tons an tons of surface area on the cable to compensate even if it's happening. The akin effect is something competitors don't Ben bother with.

Btw, 50hz is no where close to a high frequency.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

1 havin anything in the gap of the sub othe than the former and the coil is bad. Either get it out or get a new sub. Damp cloth and or blow gun should do the trick.

2 no you can't. Must recone a sub to change nominal impedance.

3 it depends. Some people see better numbers some worse. From whati I have seen it always makes music sous better.

4 don't even worry about the skin effect. If you are using good quality cable there is tons an tons of surface area on the cable to compensate even if it's happening. The akin effect is something competitors don't Ben bother with.

Btw, 50hz is no where close to a high frequency.

coil gap question.

ok its bad but what exactly would it do? would it cause premature heating of the coil? why could my sub be getting hot off 800 or so rms freeair. I KNOW it can take 1500+ no temp rise free air, well it USED TOO.

that old amp was a 2k rms hifonics amp, at about 80& or so power. "als kicker solo x 18 freeair" if u wanna see the vid.

The amp i free aired it on today was a kicker warhorse on its lowest setting 1krms, pushing out around 60% so like 800 or so.

the bass boost was 80%up gain was slightly above min setting, I know its not for output. also the power wire was just 4gauge with a 70amp fuse up front. but it was just for testing too amke sure the amp worked.

Edited by solosickness

Ride Stats:

x1 0g Big 3

x1 Kinetik 1800

-Soon Too Be Walled

Fav Quote:

I hate to say, but more dampening doesn't always increase numbers. I've read multiple times on here about people dropping big cash on dampener and doing 2-3 layers on their whole car and losing .5 dB or more.

@ABC:

kk awsome, lets say im doing a 150-150.5 or so "hypothetically" if i dynamate 2-3 layers and damping everywhere,, ROUGHLY what could i gain from this?

Dampening does reduce energy lost to flexing panels, however that doesn't always mean a higher number on the TL. We've discussed this issue before with dampeners as well as 45's and kerfed corners in boxes. You may gain 3+ dB, you may lose just as many. Will the music sound better? Most likely. Will the TL number be higher? Also very likely. By how much will depend on the car, subs, box design, equipment being used, etc. Nobody can tell you what you'll gain, although if it's simply a daily driver and looking to be a bit louder and cleaner, dampener is usually a safe bet.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Idk how true this is but I've heard when you dampen a good amount of the car you can change the car's peak frequency so if you are burping the same box and frequency you would probably loose there.

And if your coil changes impedance from heat it would be better to just recone it with a fresh coil since the coil would be on its way to failing anyway..

And to get crap out of the gap, take a piece of cardboard and put double sided tape around it and run it through the gap til you get everything out