Sonic Electronix

Would I benefit at all? If I....

Current setup has changed from sig, here it is:

200A HO Alt

Big 3 in 0/1

Optima Yellow Top under hood

15V resting voltage while car is running

Audioque 2200D

Soundstream Lil wonder 4.480 (mids/highs)

Memphis Mojo CM15Q1 wired to 1 ohm

I know the common knowledge is that caps hurt performance in some instances. I have a brand new 10 farad high quality cap with a digital volt meter on it. Would I benefit from throwing it in the back until I get another battery?

If it will harm my setup, please explain why. I dont need a copy and pasted answer of "you don't need it" or "just throw it out its junk". I want to know WHY it shouldnt or SHOULD be used.

It has never been used, and is rated to 30V dc. It was made for car audio, and it is a respectable brand, not some off brand. It was tested for discharge capacity and by my math was able to discharge atleast 5 farads of energy. So I know its a decent bank of cap cells.....

Thanks guys for any real help, please do not post dump this thread. :drinks:

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

I don't have a very high voltage drop. I havent been below 13.7 yet full tilt. So thats slightly more than a volt full bore.

Can anyone explain why or why not the capacitor is a good idea or not?

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

It won't hurt anything. The reason most people say caps are useless is because they use them wrong. Usually its people dropping to like 11v trying to use a 1farad cap to stay at 14v. A 10 farad cap is essentially a small battery, and since you don't have bad voltage drop, it WILL smooth out some of the ripples. I say use it until you get another battery. Just my opinion, though.

It won't hurt anything. The reason most people say caps are useless is because they use them wrong. Usually its people dropping to like 11v trying to use a 1farad cap to stay at 14v. A 10 farad cap is essentially a small battery, and since you don't have bad voltage drop, it WILL smooth out some of the ripples. I say use it until you get another battery. Just my opinion, though.

Correct.

Though I don't know how a cap would react since his voltage is so high. I would think dropping from 15s to 13s would be about as bad as my dropping from 14s to 12s.

My understanding is Caps are only really effective if you have virtually zero voltage drop. They are just a quick burst of energy so that you don't have the lights dimming on abrupt changes such as bass kicks where the alternator and battery can't respond quickly enough. Then your charging system "catches up" so to speak, and recharges the cap.

The reason it would be a waste of money is because if you have tremendous voltage drop, the capacitor doesn't store enough energy to support your electrical draw. It would spend virtually all of its time being empty, and being ANOTHER draw instead of a stiffener.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Correct.

Though I don't know how a cap would react since his voltage is so high. I would think dropping from 15s to 13s would be about as bad as my dropping from 14s to 12s.

My understanding is Caps are only really effective if you have virtually zero voltage drop. They are just a quick burst of energy so that you don't have the lights dimming on abrupt changes such as bass kicks where the alternator and battery can't respond quickly enough. Then your charging system "catches up" so to speak, and recharges the cap.

The reason it would be a waste of money is because if you have tremendous voltage drop, the capacitor doesn't store enough energy to support your electrical draw. It would spend virtually all of its time being empty, and being ANOTHER draw instead of a stiffener.

good explanation :good:

My youtube channel, please subscribe
http://www.youtube.com/ballinblaza

Correct.

Yes I totally agree with your thought. I however have just around a volt of vdrop, not 2+ volts. I rest right about 15 and have never seen less than 13.7, and generally above 14V while just street beating. My electrical system actually performs excellent for what it consists of.

I think adding the cap may smooth the ripple also, but I know it's primary job is to provide absolutely momentary discharge, and not raise voltage as some people believe.

I didn't pay anything for it, so I am going to go ahead and add it in the loop and see what happens. I think my electrical system will keep up just fine and use it for it's intended purpose.

ANy other opinions?

Archived