Second Skin Audio

How do you know when your box is too big?

BJD3

Is this just an experience thing? I keep seeing people whom I consider /very/ knowledgeable suggest boxes considerably larger than the manufacturer suggests. I understand larger boxes will play lower, but at what point can you see a box is too big. Obviously, you wouldn't put an average 10" subwoofer in five cubes, but for my level four for example, what would be too much? 2.5? 3? 10? lol.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

i would generally run recommended box specs from the manufacturer running @ the rms...

if running under the rms, then a slightly bigger box would be better

running over the rms, smaller than recommended

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

i would generally run recommended box specs from the manufacturer running @ the rms...

And what if you will be running twice the rms??

Rebuild Log with the SMD

CURRENT..

Honda Accord Coupe

Porsche Cayenne S

Lexus CT200

Lexus ES300 (sold)

99 Lexus RX 300 (sold)

ADDING

Honda - Hertz setup, more to come

Porsche - Fi BL, XS Power, more to come

coming soon..
peep the old rebuild log of the Lexus RX

It seems to depend on the person building it. Ray likes his boxes big as it drops the f3 of the sub a ton, which helps with the lows whether your box is tuned terribly low or not from my understanding. Fecupe seems like he suggests the same style of box building. These boxes are considerably bigger than the 'average' installer would suggest from what ive seen. Where as others like the box smaller. I trust in both of their opinions as they are doing very well in the audio scene and have been in it for quite a while. Ray has built over 500 boxes and says some subs just like the bigger box. :shrug: I dont think youd learn these things with just a dozen or so.

Problem is its hard to not listen to someone like ray who has done countless install and even more boxes in his life. The man has 2 12" mayhems in a 4.7 CF box AFTER displacement. Sounds huge for 12"s, but hes pulling almost a 156 with them.

Problem is its hard to not listen to someone like ray who has done countless install and even more boxes in his life. The man has 2 12" mayhems in a 4.7 CF box AFTER displacement. Sounds huge for 12"s, but hes pulling almost a 156 with them.

yeah, I would take notes if ray was to chime in.. im just going off of basic car audio 101 kinda shit..

I have no idea though, every sub is different, every car will react differently on every install..

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

yeah, I would take notes if ray was to chime in.. im just going off of basic car audio 101 kinda shit..

I have no idea though, every sub is different, every car will react differently on every install..

Yeah, teh audio is hard.

:cray:

Exactly why I'm asking. lol

And from what I understand, he does it while maintaining more output down low than I do.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Sounds like my box... its about 8.7-9+ cubes for four fi Q's I have two hooked up now and it is surprisingly loud

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

i've always leant towards bigger boxes than specs,

i find most manufacturers recommendations are a nice trade off between decent sound quality, and output, whilst fitting in the smallest space possible...

with nearly every box i've built, i've found it better going from the factory specs, to around 10% larger, thats not an exact number, different subs like different boxes etc, but it's a ball park figure so you know what i mean....

however i also tend to lean towards less port area than others, this is just my preference as it seems to offer more control under tuning frequency when done right....

but as stated above, smaller boxes if your running more than rated power, and bigger if your running less is a good rule of thumb....

SMD-1.png

Archived