Well I bought me a new project and I could use some help.

Truck is a bagged 88 GMC S-15. V notched frame and a 4" body drop. SIngle Vlair 4500 pump and a 3.5 or 5 gal tank. Stock alternator up front and a single old Optima red top in the back. The electrical could use an upgrade asap.

First off im a total n00b when it comes to air rides and bagged setups. I have a lot to learn real quick.

My problem right now is with filling the bags and a slow leak in the passenger side. This truck has been sitting for a while so I expected to have some issues. I did get it up to ride height and drove it the 30 miles back to my house yesterday.

The slow fill issue. This is on all four corners. With the tank full it is difficult to get the bags to fully inflate. The partially fill, then stop filling. If I wait a min and hit the switch again they will inflate a little more. It takes several attempts and about 5 min to get it up to ride height. The rear seems a little low even when I do this. The dump valves work fine and will drop the truck real quick. Not sure if this is a valve issue or what. Also not sure how many PSI I should have in the tank. It has an external regulator attached to the tank.

I also have a slow leak on the passenger side. I probably need to go over the connections with some soapy water and see if I can find the problem. Havent dug deep enough into the truck to find all the valves yet. Thats this weeks project.

At some point I do plan on new pumps and tank. Right now I would just like to get the bags to fill quicker and completely in a single operation.

Heres a pict of the new project. Thats my Son and partner in crime next to the truck. Yes the rims are ugly. The wife loves them so they have to go asap :D

s15i.jpg

Edited by -Hobby-

• 2 weeks later...

need a bigger tanks and at least 2 comps, not enough pressure to push them bags up if you only got 3.5 gallons of air and maybe your pressure switch is wrong and could be shutting off your comps at a low psi.

as far as the leak gos you got the right idea just gotta find it and fix the problem.

for now what you need to do is to buy another comp its cheaper to buy as a pair. i normaly lift the front first since thats where all the weight is and then the back. what also might be the problem is line and valve size they could be small maybe 1/4" or 3/8's like i said you gotta get under and check it out.

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you don't have enough storage, get a bigger air tank or add another one to the current set up. Just adding another tank will not help you build pressure faster but it will have more in reserve. Also a Viair 450c is good to 200psi, check the pressure in the tank to see where the regulator is set, you may have room to bump it up some. Stock electrical is fine with one Viair, even with two you are only pulling about 40 amps but check voltage with the compressor running and the engine at idle to see where you stand. Hope this helps you get started.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Ride Bro!

Looks like a good starting project!

Good to see new people getting into air!

First off there are a few things I would change right away. (If it were my toy)

The Viar 450 Compressor is only a 150 Psi Pump, I would switch that out to a Pair of Viar 380's or 480's. They are 200Psi Pumps, and are 100% duty. Plus you can run 2 and still keep your stock electrical system. And that dual pack comes with a nice little 165 on/ 200 off automatic Psi Switch

Air isn't like juice. You don't need crazy alt's or batt's to keep you system up. Just a nice Fresh OEM alt' and some decent gauge wire running to them and you good.

With air, Its not all about volume, its about psi. Yes you need volume to fill the bags, but you need Psi to lift.

If your running 1 5 gallon tank with a pair of 380's or 480's at 200psi, I can guarantee you will NOT have ANY lifting problems. (unless you have a pinched line, faulty valves, ets)

Now if you have a leak, the first thing to check if your fittings. What kind do you have?

Compression or push connect? There is a large debate about push connect vs. compression.

Compression fittings are a pain in the Ass, But you will NEVER have a problem with them once installed. Not leaks or anything.

Push connects are very easy to install. But also take a chance of leaking/ popping out.

My 2 cents is stay away from push connects. Spend the extra time (and Hassle) in the beginning to save your self the trouble of ending up on the side of the road!

I Hope this information Helps you out!

Any questions, PM me!

• 2 weeks later...

You have ALOT more stuff you need to look at on your truck before getting any more answers from users. First everybody is right, you need for tank volume. Come more tank volume, you need more muscle pumping air into it. Your other problems lifting, leaking, etc, leave me to think you need to go over everything bit of air on this truck before you start trying to fix little things. Get to the bottom of how they plumbed this, because you told me there was a single 3/8in airline plumbed to 4 fill valves, and thats REALLY bad... If you were in Sacramento Id go over your whole truck and fix it for a few bucks, but your on the other side of the country. I would get a good friend who knows bags to go over the whole truck with you, since you are new to bags. For bags to be safe, they need to be hooked up right, and you need to make sure the truck is operating correctly before you drive it

Streetmetal Ben!! Welcome to SMD man!

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

Thanks for the tips guys. Sort of why I drove it home and parked it. I have been cleaning and gutting the thing slowly since I bought it. Been gathering up parts to do some of the changes coming to the truck. If things slow down for me I will get a chance to go over the whole setup. I have a dual 480 kit and an 8 gallon 8 outlet tank on my list of stuff to get. Thats actually the next 2 things im buying, hopefully next week.

I just picked up my alarm and headunit today so I can start getting all my electric straight and start mocking up my dash. After going thru your build again Gary Im starting to see how all the small details add up to quite a big monster. Will be fun going over all of it and learning as I go. Probably the best way to learn, tearing it apart and putting it back together. I have a good friend helping me out thats a great mechanic so im not completely blind lol.

You have ALOT more stuff you need to look at on your truck before getting any more answers from users. First everybody is right, you need for tank volume. Come more tank volume, you need more muscle pumping air into it. Your other problems lifting, leaking, etc, leave me to think you need to go over everything bit of air on this truck before you start trying to fix little things. Get to the bottom of how they plumbed this, because you told me there was a single 3/8in airline plumbed to 4 fill valves, and thats REALLY bad... If you were in Sacramento Id go over your whole truck and fix it for a few bucks, but your on the other side of the country. I would get a good friend who knows bags to go over the whole truck with you, since you are new to bags. For bags to be safe, they need to be hooked up right, and you need to make sure the truck is operating correctly before you drive it

Streetmetal Ben!! Welcome to SMD man!

Thanks Numatik!

Im Hoping to get on here and stir things up a bit! Get some more activity in this section. And soon I want to partner up Street Metal With SMD. But at the moment, the partner Package is a LIIIIIITLE out of my Price range.Haha

Hobby-

Good luck on you build! Dont be afraid to ask any questions. We are all here to help!

Sorry man, I don't have anything to say about your problem except what has already been said, but those wheels are sweet! If I'm thinking right those are old school AKA's. I don't remember who made them, but about 12 years ago I wanted to put those on an early 80's Nissan to make a god awful gaudy bagged mini. I wouldn't rock them now, but they bring back memories of my vision. I hope you figure your problem out soon.

2001 VW Passat Sportwagen

Alpine ICS-X7HD

DC Audio 5K

SSA 15" XCON

Tantric Sounds 6.5HD's, Sundound Audio SA-6.5CS

Incriminator Audio IA6.4

XS batteries, KnuKonceptz wirez, Second Skin

Any questions just post up, but def go over every inch of air on that thing, from the wires to the fittings and everything in between. Its good your taking your time, that will make this much better in the long run! :drinks: :drinks:

And Ben is one of the head guys at Streetmetal, and hes always down to help people out :good:

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik