I'm fairly techy, but finding the perfect laptop is absolutely killing me for some reason.

I've been on the hunt for about a year now. Just recently has it become more of a necessity then ever before.

So hopefully I can get some help with choosing.

A few features I want/need:

Preferably a 1400x900 or higher res display and it has to have a good viewing angle.

Good to great battery life

Great wireless connectivity (if it drops the signal every few minutes I will boot it out the window)

At least a i3 processor

Other than that I'm up for most anything.

Price I'm not all that concerned about right now, I know how to shop and find deal. I just need some help narrowing the field down or at least narrowing it down to a good brand...

So shoot me some suggestions.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Does the winner get a door pack? JKJK well kinda lol. At the college I am attending this fall they have a laptop that every freshman has to buy (and keep) ours is a Lenovo W520 it's a workstation laptop that is a beast. Also, I have heard good things about the higher end Asus laptops. If I were you I would look for a machine with DDR3, an USB 3.0 port, dedicated graphics (screw integrated lol) and in that graphics card look for GDDR5 or if you have to settle go with GDDR3. This HP laptop is a monster and it is cheaper than the Lenovo listed above. Actually upon second look the HP is probably a stronger computer. Hope that helps, btw the samples look awesome and I am going to email you in a bit.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

I'll be waiting for your email.

And who knows, if you are helpful enough I might just have to return the favor. :)

I'll take a look at those suggestions.

usa_render4.png

I used to be a laptop salesman/technician.

My personal opinion:

Stay away from dells/alienwares they're nothing but trouble.

Do not buy extended warranties unless you're hard on laptops and you plan on getting the accidental damage coverage.

My personal favorite brands are HP and Toshiba.

As the tech for over a year I only worked on 3-4 toshiba's and they were ancient. I had tons of dells that cost more to fix than what they were worth. I also worked on alot of hp's but it was 99% stupid stuff like "hey i looked at this 'website' and now I have this virus" and that is not the manufacturers fault at all.

Right now I'm rolling the HP ProBook 4525s which is my favorite laptop i've ever owned so far. Dual core, 8 gigs of ram for under 500 bucks. The outer lid is aircraft grade aluminum, as well as the inner palm rest. The keyboard has a built in liquid drain so if something is spilled on it your computer should be good to go. The touch pad is multitouch so you can pinch and zoom like an iphone/droid. Pretty cool machine for my uses.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

My laptop that I use always (school and for fun) is an HP (chose stuff online). has an i5 processor, a large HDD (500+gb), ATI graphics card. It's a beast for sure. Very dependable, the wifi signal never drops (unless the router is off, obviously, haha), the screen is great, I'm not sure about the max resolution, but it is a good size res.

Here is a panel of HP laptops that all have similar features except for the processor and video card which is what variates the price. And also ya stay away from Dell/Alienware. Here is the link to the HP's.

Also here is a panel of Toshiba's that are similar to the HP's I have listed above. They may seem pricey but these are going to last you longer with the technology in them. Anyway here is the link.

So ya that is about it lol, anything missing in these let me know and ill look for others.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Definitely liking the options I've been given. Pretty much the brands that I had been favoring too.

Anyone a fan of Sony? I've been enjoying their TVs for a few years now, but how are their lappys?

usa_render4.png

Definitely liking the options I've been given. Pretty much the brands that I had been favoring too.

Anyone a fan of Sony? I've been enjoying their TVs for a few years now, but how are their lappys?

I haven't heard of a Sony laptop for a while.. That might be a sign... Hhahaa, but seriously, Sony has pricy products. Their TVs are good, but I'm not sure about their computers. If I were you, I'd just go to HP or Toshiba.