Second Skin Audio

Do you seal the inside of your enclosures ???

Fish Chris

Now this I would really have to doubt. Of course you could spray a spot, let it dry, and feel with your hand if it makes any fibers try to lift. I don't think it will.

But even so, I still have to believe the whole idea behind sealing the inside surface of the box, has more to do with making it so air cannot be pushed in and out through the particles that make up the MDF, moreso that making the inside slick, so there is less drag. That might matter a little more with the port.

Just MPO, but anyway...

Fish

Think I'll just shoot a $2 can of gloss paint in there, to seal, and slicken up the surfaces. Might not help $#!+.... But it's only $2, and 5 minutes labor, so WTF ?

Thanks again,

Fish

that'll probably just make it worse, as MDF absorbs paint badly, and you'll end up with an even less smooth surface.

Now this I would really have to doubt. Of course you could spray a spot, let it dry, and feel with your hand if it makes any fibers try to lift. I don't think it will.

But even so, I still have to believe the whole idea behind sealing the inside surface of the box, has more to do with making it so air cannot be pushed in and out through the particles that make up the MDF, moreso that making the inside slick, so there is less drag. That might matter a little more with the port.

Just MPO, but anyway...

Fish

of course it'll make the MDF fibres lift, haven't you tried painting MDF before?

the pressure inside the box is going to be something like 1 psi, its not going to leak out of the MDF.

Just MPO, but anyway...

Fish

of course it'll make the MDF fibres lift, haven't you tried painting MDF before?

the pressure inside the box is going to be something like 1 psi, its not going to leak out of the MDF.

Just MPO, but anyway...

Fish

Not trying to be argumentive here, but yes, actually I painted my last enclosure, and I don't remember it causing any of the particles to lift ???

But anyway, even more interesting, is when you say >

the pressure inside the box is going to be something like 1 psi

Yet guys commonly use 2" or more of laminated MDF.... then sometimes wrap them in fiberglass, all in an attempt to keep them from flexing..... and this is all from "something like 1 psi" ?

Hmmmmm.

I dunno.

Fish

Just MPO, but anyway...

Fish

Archived