Second Skin Audio

Do you seal the inside of your enclosures ???

Fish Chris

I mean with like rattle can spray sealent, or gloss paint ? I never have, but I've considered it.

I mean, how pourous is MDF anyway ? I wonder if anybody has ever done any kind of test to demonstrate the difference in a sealed vs. unsealed enclosure ?

I mean, it would be the easiest paint job ever..... runs ? Who cares ?

But is it worth the hassle, or not ?

Just curious,

Fish

I've seen a lot of people seal them on the inside with fiberglass resin, mainly in the seams bit I've seen some do the whole box with it. That is mainly for strength purposes tho. As for glossing the inside of your box, I couldn't tell you if it'll change anything on a meter, but I highly doubt that it would make an audible difference, actually I'm possitive it wouldn't

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

Yes, all the time except with resin. It makes all the difference in the world on the meter anywhere from .1-.5 db of a difference. The reason why is it increases the ridigity of the wood when you use it. Most of the time you will get better results with mdf using it then birch ply for the reason of the mdf just being compressed saw dust. Also by smoothing out the inside of the enclosure with whatever you choose you are reducing air drag on the inside of the box. This allows the air to move faster and will result in more spl.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

I use silicone rubber....lol

2001 is300Headunit: JVC KD-X50BTHighs/Mids: StockHigh/Mids Amp: NASubwoofer: DC Audio LV4 12"Subwoofer Box: DLDesigns Box tuned to 32HzSubwoofer Amp: AQ 2200DElectrical: NA Performance:SRT Racing intake with ECUHKS Super Dragger 2BC Racing Coilovers

BC 264 stage 2 cams

full head build with BC Valves, Retainers, and springs

Dezod Green Race Header Comming soon/Thinking about<p>Electrical: XS power under the hood (Suggestions Welcome)​Performance: BC Cams,Cam gears, maybe GTE Swap down the lineMy YouTube Channel Subscribe and i'll return the favor!Xbox Live Team Website.My First Official Box Build.My FacebooK

Werent you banned last year?

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

If you use a good amount of wood glue and then resin the whole box it works great. A lot of people just use caulk

Yeah I just use some good old caulk

2001 is300Headunit: JVC KD-X50BTHighs/Mids: StockHigh/Mids Amp: NASubwoofer: DC Audio LV4 12"Subwoofer Box: DLDesigns Box tuned to 32HzSubwoofer Amp: AQ 2200DElectrical: NA Performance:SRT Racing intake with ECUHKS Super Dragger 2BC Racing Coilovers

BC 264 stage 2 cams

full head build with BC Valves, Retainers, and springs

Dezod Green Race Header Comming soon/Thinking about<p>Electrical: XS power under the hood (Suggestions Welcome)​Performance: BC Cams,Cam gears, maybe GTE Swap down the lineMy YouTube Channel Subscribe and i'll return the favor!Xbox Live Team Website.My First Official Box Build.My FacebooK

But i think the op is asking about putting some sort of finish on the inside of the box to make it glossier and smoother, asking if that would make a difference in sound

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

I heard mdf is very porous suppossedly you can use a strong vaccum and hold a piece of paper through a piece of 3/4 never tried it. I always use resin in the inside of box it seals it and makes a nice smooth finish. As far as making it louder haven't tested before or after with and without sealing it. Logic would say the smoother the service the faster the air leaves the port which is more dbs

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Archived