FML: SMD Edition.

Hand carried a 15 kilo sub along with 17" laptop bag, rucksack and all my clothes home from uni. Changed trains and crossed platforms with the sub in a cardboard box wrapped up in parcel tape with one arm praying I didn't drop it.

Spent 5 hours with a 1/8" router bit that was basically a drill bit cutting a second hole in my baffle and went deaf for a bit from the noise. Was wiring it up at night and accidentally got the + and - mixed up on one of the coils. The wire I was using had a light grey and a light blue so nothing too obvious which to use. I didn't even notice and then when left later that evening I just cranked it full and since I hadn't heard bass for a while didn't realise that it sounded different. Played it full wherever I went for about a week or so until I heard another system similar to mine - 2 12s off 700W and wondered why mine sounded nothing like it.

Took the sub out when I got back and found that the tinsel leads had burnt through on one sub so it had been acting as a passive radiator along with the port tuned to 30hz which meant it was peaking higher. I found that songs like Sincere were ridiculously loud.

Anyway I managed to find another replacement sub and put it in correctly (managing not to spin the t-nuts as I seem to have a knack for pushing the last one all the way through) and now it sounds amazing!!

Daniel Brill-Edwards - Representing English Bassheads!!

Old Build Log - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/94637-vw-golf-mk3-1996-build-from-england/

New build coming soon with SMD V1 #99

YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/brilledwards

people who have no clue about audio but still try to say they kno ezactly what they are doin and that your clueless (prob happens to me more cause i m only 16)

I believe that this belongs in the things you hate about car audio section :peepwall:

i kno i relize this now i thought thats where i was cause i read both sections guess i got mixxed up

95 toyota corolla

1.8 dohc

5 speed

system in planing stages right now

On my way to the gas station coming down the exit right before the gas station blasting music. Get to the bottom and stop at the stop sign for a sec then hit the gas and my car don't go and my voltage is way down. I ran out of gas a football field away from the gas station. FML

I ended up drifting all the way there.

6 Sundown X 15s

2 Sundown NS1 V2s

C Pillar 4th order

Bagged Suburban on 24s

http://youtube.com/tlee333

Went to install my a system the other day in my truck, my buddy asked if I needed help so I told him he could wire up the amp while I put the dash back together. Got it all done, started my truck and no power to the amp. Went home to get a diffrent run of wire and redo my ground, still nothing. Unscrewed the remote and rescrewed it in forshits and giggles... it powered up. Id like to say fml but id rather say f my friend. :D

04' Chevy Blazer

-Kenwood KIV-BT900, Infinity Kappa 462.9cfp's, Rockford P1653's, Subs... Ridin Stock-

My buddy and I were making a new box, and adding 3 electric cooling fans to the back of the amp(Memphis Mojo 4K), running all 1/0 guage with big 3. It was about 1am, the box was done, wires were ran. holes were cut in the back plates of the amp with pre drill holes(from previous owner). I checked two of the 3 fan holes for clearance of the screws, got in a rush and was only using about 1/8" long screws. screwed the fans in place, got it all wired up. When I turned it on, there was a lot of popping and a lot of smoke. The Mojo was dead. one of the screws went through and hit one of the capacitor things in there. But I ended up with my VFL500 so it was still a win. sold the dead Mojo.

A friend came over and we were disconnecting his alt. I thought he knew what to do so i was off doing something else. I hear a couple really loud pops and he started yelling "SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT". I ran over and there was a lot of smoke. I looked under the hood and i see my ratchet, ext and socket glowing red. He was removing the positive wire from the alt, and arced it to the metal oil dip stick sleeve, and it stuck, he couldnt get it off, i told him to disconnect the battery(i figured that would have been done in the beggining). he couldnt get the battery cables off, cause it was already hot as shit. I ran and got a 2x4 and broke the ratchet off. By then smoke was pouring out of the dipstick sleeve, my ratchet, ext, and socket were now one, all his wires under the hood of his car were smoking. he looks at me and says "do you think that could have messed anything up on my car?" i told him that he would be lucky if it ever ran again, but it did.

06 300C 5.7 Hemi

K&N CAI

JVC KW-AVX640 6.1" DVD

DC Audio 3.5k

6 DC Audio 8"s

6 cubes 8" aero port at 32hrtz

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183798-chrysler-300c-8-build/?p=2731834#entry2731834

Decided to upgrade my BIG3 today. Went to the shop and purchased 7ft of 0 gauge and 4 terminals. Went home and tore into the truck. Then connected the terminals to 2 cables and realized I'm missing a pair... FML

while doing a mock up... the zero gauge wire bumped my (seemingly original) Coolant temperature sensor and broke the old brittle plastic. Afterwards ...the leads were exposed and the truck wont start without that sensor. FML

Unhooked an amp to work on part of my false floor. When i hooked up the amp again, i popped the fuse for my wire. So i check to see what happened and I realize i had switched up the ground and battery positive to the amp. Fixed that, put in a new fuse, and nothing happens, amp wont even power on. I think maybe the new fuse is bad? Well i left my multimeter at home and was working at my parents house where my dad had recently taken his to work so i have no way to check fuses. Try another fuse, still nothing. So i figure i must have messed something up while working: a bad remote connection or bad power or ground connection. Spend three hours testing, replacing wires, looking for breaks and problems all without a multimeter and nothing is working. I am starting to think that i must have fucked up my amp. But after i hook up a different amp to the same set of wires and it doesnt turn on i realize it must be something with the power wire. So i create a "multimeter" to try to track down where my voltage break is. I get a spare headlight that will run on 12v and two pieces of wire and hook it all together. If it lights up we have power. Using that, it takes me back to the fuses. So i start testing fuses again, first fuse no light, second fuse no light, third fuse no light.............sixth fuse no light........seventh and final fuse, LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!

I had 7 "new" fuses that i had bought earlier that year never used and only one of them and of course the last one i happen to grab to test was actually good.

FML!

Team NorthWestSPL

Was doing a complete system install for my cousin's Chrysler 300. Doing SS Pro though out the whole trunk so I had to remove the battery, since that's where is it at on these cars. Had a box for 2 12's built and ready for him, so we go and put the box in his car just to see how it looks and all, kinda a test fit. And here's the kicker we closed the trunk, and that's when I noticed that the battery sitting on the garage floor, and his car doesn't have a key port for his trunk. So I had to cut a hole in back of the box just to get to the release latch from within his trunk! FML

On a good note I still managed to seal up the box and got it slamming.

you do realize that the wire for a trunk battery still terminate under the hood right? And that a set of jumper cables in the right place under the hood will give you enough power to unlatch the trunk.

Archived