Sonic Electronix

ive been wanting to do a 3 way set up in my car for a while im in the planning stage still as funds are not there but i have a question related to rms and loudness. the plan is to have one 4 channel amp running 4 3 way set ups @ 4 ohms each door is gona have its own 3 way speaker set up in it these are the drivers i plan to use

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-376&scqty=4 - woofer

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-378&scqty=4 - mid

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-025&scqty=4 - tweeters

every review for those drivers is amazing and some people are using them in cars for the same thing i plan to use. im not sure what to cross them at might play around till i find the best sound.

plan to use this amp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boston-Acoustics-GTA-704-4-Channel-Amplifier-Car-Amp-/300590313017?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item45fc942e39#ht_2103wt_1185

that amp does 70 rms @ 4 well bellow the woofers rms now my question is sending 70 rms to each 3 way i shouldnt be able to distort the speakers aside from clipping them but im worried that the 3 ways will sound good but wont get as loud as id like. my goal is to have a system that is amazing to listen to but is rather loud but not over poweringly loud.

for my sub stage im not sure if i can fit it yet but i plan to build my other re se motor into a 12 and put it in a t-line in my trunk sealed off firing into the cabbin.

using this amp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boston-Acoustics-GT-2300-2-Channel-1400W-Car-Amplifier-/360383337052?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item53e885525c#ht_1754wt_1185

wondering if bostons amps are legit and do rated and sound good?

looking for thoughts,opinions, and advice i really wana do a all dayton 3 way in each door these speakers " judging by the reviews in car audio aplications" seem like they would do exacly what i need.

Edited by hifonics10

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

I am a fairly newbie but, the Dayton setup itself should be fine (heard all good things about them too). I believe the question comes in with the amp on them. I think that 70wrms on a 3way may be too little and push them to a desent potential. If you have the 70w and you split it 3ways, you are only giving each driver about 25wrms. That may be sufficient for the tweet and maybe the midrange but definitely wont be getting front bump out of the 8s (wont be enough).

You want to look into giving them closer to 100-125wrms and I believe it will definitely raise the volume and sound along with help the staging in your fronts. As for the backs, I wouldnt make a 3way, maybe a solid 2way. Remember your backs are merely to surround you (Dayton 2way).

Bostons are good but they do lack that added power that people are looking for especially for the subs. Have you thought of Hifonics, they give you some power without the deep pocket.

What x over are you building for the 3ways?

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Would it be possible to run 3 2 channels amps, and control the X over through each amp, so you can give each speaker a resonable amount that would power it well. ie, a 150 watt amp on the 8" a 100 on the 4" and a 50 on the tweeters. Then set the Xover on the amps to control what they play?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Sure. As long as your amps do bandpass and 10x

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

What do you mean by 10x?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

as for x over im not sure. and i rather not run 3 differnt amps that way i can have front, rear and left / right controll with my reciever with out all the problems i might run into by doing 3 amps. what was said about the 70 / 3 makes sence think i may look into a larger amp. but my thing is i dont want to be able to cause any distortion i wana stay with in the rms to eliminate the distortion aspect

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

What do you mean by 10x?

10x is an option to allow for higher crossover points.

say the x-over goes from 8 0-500. if you flick the 10x switch is goes to 800-5000 instead of 8 0-500

Edited by IH8PunkRok

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I have some questions before i put in my .02. I read 4 3 way set ups, is that correct?

I heard good things about Dayton but I have not heard any. I run 3 way set ups and have done both active and passive for crossovers. There are both pros and cons on both but, you will find all true SQ guys run active and majority run electronic crossovers.

Multiple amps,although a pain can still allow you to have front rear and sub control. I ran two four channels on my front stage alone and still maintained full control. Left and Right as well.