lowering speed limit = less accidents?

The other day I was just thumbing through the local paper and came across an article bout an accident that happened last week. It was a two car accident on Hwy 68 between Fairdealing and Draffenville Ky, where sadly one of the drivers ended up dying. From what I read there was a car stopped waiting to make a left turn, there was another car coming up from behind it and other coming from the oppisite direction. Well the car coming up behind the stopped car swerved over into the on-coming lanes and slammed head on into the car coming the other way. The driver who swerved over was said to of been DUI. Scary thing bout this is that I drive this streatch of road daily. Now they are talking bout lowering the speed limit through out Hwy 68 and patrolling it more to lower the chance of accidents. I really doubt lowering the limit will solve the accident problem, cause it's not the speed that is the factor. The real problem is that people will pull out in front of ya even if your right at the intersection or driveway/parking lot. Sure the crash wont be as bad if ya get hit at 45 instead of 55 which is the current limit on most of Hwy 68. I know I've had a few close calls, but I know how to handle my car and avoid an accident. People just need to have common sence (if that does exsist still). There are days by the time I get to work or home I'm pissed cause some idiots decide that they own the road and it don't matter if they pull out in front of me causing me to lock my brakes up or if they cut me off on the interstate. I know I can't do anything bout it...legally anyways. No I am not going to wreck someone, I'm just gonna sit back and know that karma is a bitch. I know most of ya'll drive smart since ya got real nice rides, just wish people were like that around here.

Speed limit had nothing to do with the retard driving drunk. I will say this, in Germany there are portions of the Autbahn that have no speed limit. There are less accidents there than we have here with our 65-70mph limits. Now in town, they have very low speed limits (30km/h), which makes for almost zero in town accidents (minus snow and ice related stuff).

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

That's what I'm saying changing the speed limit on this highway is not going to change a thing. Also I know a lot of people like to go 45 mph when the limit is 55, so I'm afraid that if they lower it to 45 like they want too I'll be behind a moron going 35. Oh wait that already happened and not one person thought to pass this idiot. The other day I was 6 cars behind this person going 30-35 when the speed limit was 55 and yet not one person tried passing when they could have. I wanted too, but like I said I was 6 cars back.

You know how hard it is to get a license to drive on the Autobahn? It's a special endorsement and drivers take it very seriously. Not like here in the states...

I lived there for 6 1/2 years. Its a year of drivers training, and around $3000 (US) to get licensed.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

shit i dont think a lowered speed limit would help too much when alot of people dont even drive the speed limit anyway

TEAM DC

Everything is a 150 on th earometer

Well I guess punching a woman is a good way to test your strength! You never know how strong you are until you cold-cock a woman in the head and break that bitches jaw.

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.

We need something like that here no joke, well except the the $3000 price...yeesh. I took drivers ed in hs plus was taught how to drive by my grandfather who raced go-karts back in the early 60's. Believe me, some of the stuff he taught me from racing has helped in daily driving around here. If I ever get the chance, I would like to go to either a stunt driving or a defensive driving course and get more training behind the wheel. Also past few days I've had this nagging feeling something bad is going to happen, don't know what. You guys ever get that feeling? Anyways yeah, people here in western Ky need to learn how to drive with their heads out of their asses and watch the damn road.

Its funny how the law abiding citizens always get penalized for the actions of morons.

In this situation here: "Lowering the speed limit". What in the hell is lowering the speed limit going to do? The person that was responsible for causing the accident was intoxicated. Making rules for drunk people to follow isn't a very safe bet because chances are they more than likely won't follow them.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 v6

2 sundown audio prototype nsv4 15s

crossfire 4k wired to 0.4 ohm

15 banks of maxwell 3.0 caps @ 18v

triple alts (x2 us alt 250's, x1 singer 320)

153 at 23hz