Sonic Electronix

There are standardized tests for testing these materials. Oberst Bar SAE J1637 and ASTM E-756.

Out of my own curiosity (without the aid of any company, i.e. NOBODY FROM SECOND SKIN HELPED ME), I set forth and tested a little more than 30 different products. I spent close to $2K collecting samples and figuring out a fairly straight forward and reliable test method. And like I've said many times, I am extremely reluctant to release this info for several reasons. The data collected would probably piss off all but a handful of companies and/or individuals. That and since I work for a company that makes some of these products tested, people will of course bitch and complain about the results no matter how good or bad they may be.

You can actually test these products a multitude of ways at home, it just takes a bit of creativity. :D

i know part of the testing involved a household oven :rofl:

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Well i guess after your test you wont disclose the information, but i guess you could say are you getting what you pay for? There are several products that are cheaper in the wallet, but is it cause of the thickness of material. i know what its made of will play a factor as well so which material would be best I have seen several alternatives like peel and seal but i personally think thats out of the picture. i dont want alternatives i want positive results that will last.

I'll be replying to your PM here in a few (have something that popped up that needs dealt with).

But yes the old adage you get what you pay for is somewhat true. Some products are overpriced garbage and the company is taking you for a ride.

FatMat is one of them (none of their products are worth two cents).

Standartplast (StP) has a good product (their Gold product, not their Bomb product), but it is overpriced for what you get.

Material composition is really the key to a good product.

But like I said, I'll send ya a PM asap to answer your question. :good:

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Not for my tests. I was going strictly on how well the product(s) reduced vibrations and resonance.

Adhesion really isn't an issue these days with exception of the bitumen/asphalt based products that companies are still selling... <_<

usa_render4.png

Not for my tests. I was going strictly on how well the product(s) reduced vibrations and resonance.

Adhesion really isn't an issue these days with exception of the bitumen/asphalt based products that companies are still selling... <_<

that's right forgot what that test was for <_<

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

common give us a hint as to your creative test? lol or just email me. :drinks:

yup just wanna know what other people would do... me personally would use a box with a speaker on the inside having one of the walls a piece of sheet metal with a deadening material on it and get vibrational results. Also putting like a small fan in the box to see how much noise it would cancel out. But i dont know i want to see what other people ideas were?

Ok fine...

I built a small 1 cubic foot 22 gauge steel box with a hinged lid.

Once that was completed, I then took a rabid weasel and jammed that sucker in the box and shook it for a good 10 seconds.

When the weasel was nice and pissed off, I took my dB meter and measured how loud it was. This was my baseline.

I then repeated said test BUT with the sound deadened material applied to the box, making sure to hold the dB meter the same distance from it each and every time...

:rofl::lol:

Prove me wrong... :pardon::D

usa_render4.png

Ok fine...

I built a small 1 cubic foot 22 gauge steel box with a hinged lid.

Once that was completed, I then took a rabid weasel and jammed that sucker in the box and shook it for a good 10 seconds.

When the weasel was nice and pissed off, I took my dB meter and measured how loud it was. This was my baseline.

I then repeated said test BUT with the sound deadened material applied to the box, making sure to hold the dB meter the same distance from it each and every time...

:rofl::lol:

Prove me wrong... :pardon::D

Why do we do the same tests? Except I used a savage child.

Oy you guys are just horrible... :D

Why do we do the same tests? Except I used a savage child.

Great minds think alike! ;)

KenC210, I hope my PM answered your questions. And I'm sure there are some people with some ideas of how they would test these products on a small scale and without spending a bunch of money.

usa_render4.png