I know this isnt a troubleshooting type forum but theres gotta be atleast one guy here that knows enough that can help me. so here i go Im looking to buy an 86 GT 92k miles and very clean just a little bit of rust on the unibody. and the only other two issues are a rough start up but there is no EGR hose so i would replace both the EGR and the hose. the second thing is the worst. it overheats very quickly. in about 10 minutes of idling it reached just above 220. he admitted to the radiator leaking, but said the thermostat was replaced. there is no coolant or any fluid in the oil and no smell/color from the exhaust. it comes with a new coolant pipe for under the car and new shocks and struts.

so

1. Would this be worth it to buy and fix up.

2. how easy would it be?

3. what is the most likely reason for it?

4. is there anyway i can temporally fix it so i can limp her home about 10 minutes without damaging the motor?

any help is appreciated thanks!

1999 Dodge Caravan

[TrashMobile]

8ga Power/Ground

AudioPipe APSM-1300 (subs)

Scosche 550 (mids/highs)

Boss 735UA Headunit

(2)Hifonics HFi12D4

Still Under Major Construction..

220 isnt that hot. its bout operating temp. but from what ive heard them things have always had overheating problems. but if its nice and u can git it cheap enuff then hells ya git it. no problem is impossible to fix sum how, but as for gitting it home just keep an eye on the temp gauge and take a few extra gallons of water with u just incase

Edited by moonweezle9

forum2_zpsxe3pvakm.jpg

4 or 6 ? Don't sound to hard to fix up , if u like them go for it man , u can buy little plack pellets to plug up rad leeks but u must replace thermostat if that is prob , it might be heater core and they are fuckers to repace

2.8L 6 but its an auto.. oh well

And ive never heard of a heatercore causing overheating.. im not doubting you man, just trying to learn can you explain?

1999 Dodge Caravan

[TrashMobile]

8ga Power/Ground

Scosche 550 (mids/highs)

Boss 735UA Headunit

(2)Hifonics HFi12D4

how much are you dropping for it? that would be a crucial decision breaker. if hes damn near giving it to you, than Id say go for it...but if you'd be paying some decent money for it I wouldn't. you gotta remember your buying someone elses problem

Edited by mbdblue

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

And ive never heard of a heatercore causing overheating.. im not doubting you man, just trying to learn can you explain?

If the heater core is leaking or stopped up, then this is crucial. It will inhibit the flow of the coolant through the whole cooling system. It would be about the same as a radiator hose, or the radiator itself leaking or being stopped up.

mivtCK.png

If the heater core is leaking or stopped up, then this is crucial. It will inhibit the flow of the coolant through the whole cooling system. It would be about the same as a radiator hose, or the radiator itself leaking or being stopped up.

how can i test to see if the heater core is blocked up?

1999 Dodge Caravan

[TrashMobile]

8ga Power/Ground

Scosche 550 (mids/highs)

Boss 735UA Headunit

(2)Hifonics HFi12D4

i would say try flushing the radiator also there might be deposits built up on the inside of the radiator or something clogged might help push what ever is clogged through

another thing is there pressure in the radiator hose

Edited by deathcards

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps