Sundown Audio

amp issues

im wondering whats wrong with my amp, it plays perfecly fine, just when i turn it on the protect light comes on and then goes off and cuts on, and it gets really hot

its 2ohm stable and i have it wired to 2ohm, what could be the issue?

it has a built in fan and it still works, i just wonder why it does this

voltage doesn't go below 13v or so, i wonder why it gets hot, all wires are crimped and wrapped with electrical tape, i just dunno what it is

i dunno if one of the mosfets or something is causing it to heat up so bad or wut

ive got 4guage going to it for power and ground, speakerwire is 16ish guage wire about 2ft long then going to the 14x8 wire i got, i wonder if wire size causes to much resistance and making it get hot?

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

these are the front speakers h107db6500p.jpg

link to front speakers http://www.polkaudio.com/partners/press.php?id=28

front speakers are polk audio db6500 6&1/2'' comps, and there merine certified :yahoo:

rear seakers are polk audio db651 6&1/2'' coax (the new kind) B000P0PF9G-1.jpg

i got the front left comp set and rear left coax wired to 2ohm on left channel, and right front comp set and right rear coax wired to right side at 2ohms

amp is memphis pr150.2 http://www.audiosavings.com/products/2-channel-Car-Amplifier/MEMPHIS-AUDIO-16-PR150.2-300-WATT-2-CHAN-CAR-AMPLIFIER/16PR150.2RB.aspx

damn i wish i knew rob so i could get another one of these, i hope he has soem laying around

ive had this thing for like 4years or so, got it brand new, never ran below 12v, best 2ch amp ive ever had ecept for the ma audio hard core 2ch i had

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

i dont have anywhere to send it to, it was from an authorized memphis dealer i got it from tho

hell ive got a hifonics 4406 4ch amp setting in a box in my room that i need looked at, everything looks great on it, just powers on and goes str8 to protect

i mean ive had it for a good 4 or 5 years and its beast, i wonder if it just gets hot cause its hot out but its out in the open and even with my sub amp wired down to 1ohm the sub amp dont get as hot as the 2ch, hell i couldn't even hold my hand on it for longer than 5-10sec

ive never had a amp get this hot and not turn off, works flawlessly tho, great sq and what knot, just not as loud as it used to be tho, i can tell as i turn up the volume the mids n highs tend to stay the same, they get a little louder tho

i know my preouts are 6.5v and the amps line input voltage is 2-4v, i dont see this being an issue but i dunno

now one day i was jamming to some country and had it cranked and i started to smell something hot like electrical and i felt of the amp so i took it easy on it, i thought it was my subs getting warm but they was still "room temp"

this was the country song i was jammin to,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z01GUR24QZk

i might just wire up the front comps and see if its the 2ohm load, i'll check the ohm load and what knot tommrow

Have you checked your ground?

Ive seen bad grounds cause this before.

Also, have you metered your speakers (individually) to make sure they are reading the proper impedance?

Edited by blankskater08

I'd wait for someone else to comment here, but my vote is you're clipping.

You have ~6 volt signal leading into an amp that can only handle at most 4v.

Like I said I could be wrong, so wait for someone with more knowledge to chime in here.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Your sub amp doesn't get hot because it's probably a digital mono block. Your amp you're running on the mods/highs is an analog and not as efficient.

*Edit: The problem you're having could be a grounded out speaker wire. Thoroughly check all speaker wire and make sure it's not pinched or cut. Bare metal touching an exposed speaker wire could cause a protect.

Edited by CleanSierra

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Lmao at digital..

Disconnect all the speakers and see if it still gets hot.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz