DC Sound Lab

XL 18" gets stinky...

my lvl 5 smelled like glue when i played it hard first in the box, and i know for sure it wasnt hot, i could smell glue ish whenever it played low notes. (gain half of what it should have been at, and voltage steady at 13.6)

yea at first i thought i may be glue, or the .5 ohm load.

my voltage stays steady when im crusin

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer

Below tuning being the magic word.

Or playing songs that are clipped themselves.

i do play below tuning alot, mainly decaf songs though

nothing to do with the low ohm load?

No, ohm load won't make them stinky. You might not have enough electrical to support .5 ohms and cause the amp to clip but the ohm load itself won't cause stinky coils.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Below the f3 point is bad mmmmkay

Not saying running at .5 is great but playing the lowzzz is prob doing more damage.

Just make a box with a low f3 point and your golden

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I can get my xls stinky real quick below tuning also with low voltage from clipping. But certain songs I can rail a full 3min song with no smell

yea some songs i can play and not get stinky at all, i guess its those low songs

I think your loving the sound of 1 and need at least 1 more to get your satisfaction. I have 4 and still want more

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Below the f3 point is bad mmmmkay

Not saying running at .5 is great but playing the lowzzz is prob doing more damage.

Just make a box with a low f3 point and your golden

F3 as in tuning correct ray?

yea i dont like running that low, but is a D1 sub, may be switching to a T2500BDCP here soon though and will run @ 2 ohms

my box is tuned to 32 right now, maybe ill hit ya up for a design

I can get my xls stinky real quick below tuning also with low voltage from clipping. But certain songs I can rail a full 3min song with no smell

yea some songs i can play and not get stinky at all, i guess its those low songs

I think your loving the sound of 1 and need at least 1 more to get your satisfaction. I have 4 and still want more

i think your right, i want two in the tahoe, and either 4 18"s or 6 15"s walled behind the c pillar in my burb :peepwall:

Below tuning being the magic word.

Or playing songs that are clipped themselves.

i do play below tuning alot, mainly decaf songs though

nothing to do with the low ohm load?

No, ohm load won't make them stinky. You might not have enough electrical to support .5 ohms and cause the amp to clip but the ohm load itself won't cause stinky coils.

good point, prob causing the amp to clip quicker the usual.

Fb is the tuning freq.

F3 is the point that the box is down 3db from its peak.

F3 is where the sub will just see a hole in the box and start to lose control. Very bad to play down here. A good design can get you a f3 point well below the tuning freq(fb)

A bad or poor design can actually have the f3 point above the fb. Crazy huh. I know. And yes i see it all the time.

This is where using winisd or bbp6 is far better than just a volume calc.

Live and learn

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Fb is the tuning freq.

F3 is the point that the box is down 3db from its peak.

F3 is where the sub will just see a hole in the box and start to lose control. Very bad to play down here. A good design can get you a f3 point well below the tuning freq(fb)

A bad or poor design can actually have the f3 point above the fb. Crazy huh. I know. And yes i see it all the time.

This is where using winisd or bbp6 is far better than just a volume calc.

Live and learn

damn, learn something new everyday!

now if i were to get a design from you for my XL 18", could you get it to where my F3 is well below my tuning? my box as of now i have no clue, cause i just used torres. :shrug:

or i could send you my dimensions and tell me what my FB and F3 is?

Edited by RickyFriery97