Alright guys i got a question that i need some expert advice on. I currently have a 2006 silverado 1500 with the 5.3L v8 and its an extended cab. I really wanted to do a 6.6 duramax/allison swap, but then realized what good is all that power without the bigger HD frame. A couple guys I know got various wrecked d-maxes at their junkyards and i know one of the frames is flawless.. Do you think its possible to build up a rolling 2500hd chassis with motor and all and put my LT3 1500 cab and box on it? I figured if i sold all my 1500s parts i could make some cost back, but i cant just buy a new truck, because i hate to say it but i dont have the best credit coming out of college. I already looked into the length of the frames and they are the same, but would they mount? What else would I have to do?

2006 Silverado Ext. Cab

6-15" SSA ZCONS

4th Order Blow-Through

Pioneer AVH-P4200dvd

American Bass VFL 1100.1 12 volt

6 C&D Batteries

2-350A Singer Alternators and Stock Alt

DC Power Triple Alt Kit

MLA Module

3 Runs of 1/0

2 Sets of Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pro Components

Boston Acoustics 2-channel

Lots of Sound Deadener

....Build still in Progress...

anything is possible. I have a feeling this will take some deep pockets though.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Yes it's possible to switch your cab and box over to the HD frame. I wouldn't suggest trying the reverse of this. Your half ton frame wont handle the twist of that diesel. I've thought aobut the same thing on my little short bed and doing a diesel swap. Everything has to be upgraded to 3/4 ton.

Edit-I'm not sure the hood of your 1500 would clear the diesel though.

Edited by CleanSierra

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

i would say perhaps a clearance issue with the hood. besides the fact that you would need a new instrument cluster and a few other things

you would also have to make sure you could fit your cab and bed on the frame.

Edited by bass_stalker

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

Yes it's possible to switch your cab and box over to the HD frame. I wouldn't suggest trying the reverse of this. Your half ton frame wont handle the twist of that diesel. I've thought aobut the same thing on my little short bed and doing a diesel swap. Everything has to be upgraded to 3/4 ton.

Edit-I'm not sure the hood of your 1500 would clear the diesel though.

Im not sure i understand what you are saying about the hood clearing.. my hood on my 06 looks almost identical to the HD 06 hood, would i have to get a fiberglass cowl then?

2006 Silverado Ext. Cab

6-15" SSA ZCONS

4th Order Blow-Through

Pioneer AVH-P4200dvd

6 C&D Batteries

DC Power Triple Alt Kit

MLA Module

3 Runs of 1/0

Lots of Sound Deadener

I don't think it is identical. I'm not positive, but I think the the HD hood has a little more clearance than the half ton version. Remember the 2001 and 2001 hoods on the HD's compared to the half tons? They were noticeable taller to clear the diesel(and maybe even the 8.1). I'm thinking you'd be solid on the frame mounts for the cab and bed box though. I wouldn't think GM would've made terribly different cabs and boxes with different mounting locations.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

well my thinking was. a crew cab long bed frame would be longer than a short bed extended cab or vice versa

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

Ive seen this done before at the shop i work at. Its possible, but takes a good deal of man hours to get it done, also when it comes to lining up everything there are extra support brackets available for this. Ive seen people line up the Hd Frames with the 1500 cab before. they usually use stronger body bolts on account of the hd frame and a lighter body compared to the hd. I think this will turn out great man. but duramax on the 1500 frame is definitely out of the question, ive seen the chassis literally warp and twist, it takes some support to run a beast like that

Edited by Toady

Ive seen this done before at the shop i work at. Its possible, but takes a good deal of man hours to get it done, also when it comes to lining up everything there are extra support brackets available for this. Ive seen people line up the Hd Frames with the 1500 cab before. they usually use stronger body bolts on account of the hd frame and a lighter body compared to the hd. I think this will turn out great man. but duramax on the 1500 frame is definitely out of the question, ive seen the chassis literally warp and twist, it takes some support to run a beast like that

where could i look for the support brackets, and what kind of bolts are we talking about here?, i mean like how much bigger?

2006 Silverado Ext. Cab

6-15" SSA ZCONS

4th Order Blow-Through

Pioneer AVH-P4200dvd

6 C&D Batteries

DC Power Triple Alt Kit

MLA Module

3 Runs of 1/0

Lots of Sound Deadener

A few years ago I seen something very similar to what your talking about, a guy put his denali pickup body onto a 2500 Dmax frame. I didn't get a chance to talk with the owner but I did quickly look at it while it was parked. Not sure on the specifics of what all it took but I'm sure it would be possible to duplicate.