Advice for a new sub

Guest HellTriX

U should get some Orion hcca :) good subs

Uhh no... Not on his power.. They prob would'nt even move. They do like small boxes though.

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz

big 3

X2 group 34

Deka Group 31

All 0/1 awg jl meta wire

Alpine CDA 7894

Orion HCCA D5000

2 AQ HDC312's

Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only)

AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets

AQ supertweeters - 2 sets

2000 Slamry

Most of these suggestions are questionable. As far as I know the DC, Fi, and Sundown stuff mentioned are pretty much SPL oriented. With the only exception being the Fi Q which can pass as a SQL type driver. I would go with a single Fi Q or AA Havoc 12 and get someone to design a box that meets all your listening preferences.

777319156.png

Guest HellTriX

Was looking into building a new box for a single SA-12 to run off my 1000/1.

Seems like 1.75cuft box size would be good the power level?

I think I want to do a fiberglass box where the spare tire in the trunk goes.

I measured it all up and I have a 27" diameter spare tire well at 6.5 inches deep.

The sub is 6.5 inch mounting depth so I can use fiberglass to taper the center up to

around 8" for good clearance on the subs mounting depth. This would put the volume at

about 1.85 cuft after subtracting the 0.14 of the sub. Now the issue is with port size

for tuning at 32hz. Was playing around with a few calculators since I am not up

to date with current calcs for these things and it seems with high excursion subs that

port area becomes important to quell port noise. This one calc suggests a port are of

33 inches using the one way Xmax of 19mm. This corresponds to a port length of about

21.6 inches.

Now this is almost as long as the largest dimension of the box meaning really hard to

implement with the circular design I had in mind. This is not even factoring in making

the box a bit larger to account for the large port volume being used up by the port

(about 0.16 cuft). This would bring total volume to 1.687cuft.

Am I completely wrong here? Would like some further guidance on this stuff since its

been many years since I have build/used ported systems.

Guest HellTriX

Pics of car/current set up?

I just uploaded some pics of the current setup to an old cardomain thing I had.

Current setup

I put a Rockford punch 250W 12" in an old prefab box I had and ratchet strapped it to the trunk just for a temp bass

fill while I plan out a good enclosure and proper sub. For some reason I don't have pics of the molded trunk box I did

but its too small anyway for a good loud system.

Before I blew up the previous JL Audio I used this prefab box for a few years Image.

There is lots of space in that spare tire well to dedicate to a box for a single 12". Was thinking I could run the ports out toward the Amps. But then I would have to extend the ports under the sub to back (opposite side of the amps) so not sure how good that idea is.

Guest HellTriX

There is lots of space in that spare tire well to dedicate to a box for a single 12". Was thinking I could run the ports out toward the Amps. But then I would have to extend the ports under the sub to back (opposite side of the amps) so not sure how good that idea is.

I installed google sketchup just now and did a really bad mock-up of what I was thinking. I have no graphics design or CAD skills at all so its just a rough visualization to get opinions for you guys.

Made the top transparent so you can see the box being mostly circular with the slot port opening under the sub and coming out the back of

the box near the amps. Still not sure on port size/length yet.

39371674006_large.jpg

Hmm well you looking for a ten or twelve? I know for a fact that the fi q and the aa chaos play great in sealed or ported..feel free to message me with question everyone has loved how flat my boxes have played with my fi q's. Dropping to low 20's

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

Alpine type x 12" , good for sq and would work I'n your current b0x , and the jl1000 amp would power it nicely

For the price of the Type X I would rather see someone get 2 Type R's they still sound really great, I just don't think that the type x is worth the money

1978 Chevy 3/4 ton Reg Cab Pickup Alpine 9887 Imprint Head Unit JL Audio HD600.4 (Mid Amp) JL Audio HD750.1 (Sub Amp) 2 x JL 13TW5 Shallow Sub's JL C5-650 Components in fiberglassed door mod JL ZR800-CW Mid Bass in the kick panels ***UPCOMING BUILD(2 weeks and counting)*** 8 JL Audio 15" W0's in a blow through 2 Kicker 2500.1

Archived