Advice for a new sub

Guest HellTriX

Guest HellTriX

I have pretty much a full JL Audio system in my 2011 Subaru STi and for the last 4 years I have gone through two sets of two JL audio 12w3v2 subs because I was running them off of a JL 1000/1v2 amp. These two subs rated for 300w RMS each where consistently pushed to 400-500W RMS each but man did they sound good in a sealed box with the rest of the system.

I love the sound quality of my whole setup but I want to change to a sub that can take the power of my JL 1000/1 and my limits on trunk space and still sound good. I had been wanting a JL 13w7 for a long time but everyone I talk to keeps telling me they are decent subs but a bit over priced for what they offer.

So I ask the pros here what sub/subs I should run for my goals which are:

I want good sound quality but I want to be able to crank it up and rattle the hell out of things.

I'd like it to go low, 22-25hz. It doesn't need to be flat to 22-25 but be able to at least get there.

I have a molded 1.75cu sealed I built for a 12w7, but I can build a new box for a sub but want to keep it 2-Cuft or less.

I like the sound of sealed boxes but if I can get something to meet the above criteria with a port I'm open to that.

Finally Price. A JL 13w7 is $667 or so, so I'd like that to be the top end on what I can spend with $300-400 being better.

I guess obviously it needs to be able to handle the 1000W RMS of the JL/amp at anything between 2-8 ohms.

What can you guys recommend?

My suggestion ... Blues Car Audio ISO-Kit ... Go here to get number and more info ... www.linearpower.com

Please tell them Randal sent you ...

Thanks ...

again, just my suggestion ... :drink40:

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Guest HellTriX

2 SA-12s

Oooh, good point I can use two of those and handle the power. Been looking at possibility of a single sub so long I had crossed them off my list due to lack of power handling, but two of them would be just fine.

2 SA-12s

Oooh, good point I can use two of those and handle the power. Been looking at possibility of a single sub so long I had crossed them off my list due to lack of power handling, but two of them would be just fine.

Actually 1 SA12 could take that 1k all day long and laugh at it lol. Just make sure your gains are set right! 1 sa-12 in 2ft^3 @ 30hz would be nice

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

Guest HellTriX

2 SA-12s

Actually 1 SA12 could take that 1k all day long and laugh at it lol. Just make sure your gains are set right! 1 sa-12 in 2ft^3 @ 30hz would be nice

Tnx, Maybe I will try one first then and build a bigger box to drop the tune lower.

You want the box under 2 cubes right? I dont think 2 12"s will like under 2 cubes. I would have said a nice 10" for under 2 cubes b/c I would assume you ment the whole thing under 2 cubes?

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz

big 3

X2 group 34

Deka Group 31

All 0/1 awg jl meta wire

Alpine CDA 7894

Orion HCCA D5000

2 AQ HDC312's

Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only)

AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets

AQ supertweeters - 2 sets