Second Skin Audio

Need your professional opinions on this....

iv always wondered that as there use be a prefab box that heaps use to buy to put in corner of there trunks. that was sloped and had port like cut in half at 45 degrees. always wondered what happen to tuning. they did sound like poop tho

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

Im like the single port idea.

Only need to make a new side plate with the new port cut in it.

I have no issues with averaging port length, but its not common practice for a reason.

And with mr hughes's background id take any info i could possibly get from that guy

Just my .02

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Hey Ray,

I have no issues with averaging port length, but its not common practice for a reason.

And with mr hughes's background id take any info i could possibly get from that guy

You can bet I weigh anything that someone at SPL2K, or SMD's level, (or a handful of others) tells me, quite heavily.....

But at the same time, as far as it not being common for a reason...... Ehhh.... Most of my biggest successes in life have come from "stepping out of the box".... or should I say from "not following the leader". A lot of people do things (or don't do things), simply because a lot of other people do those same things. It always cracks me up to see 3/4's of the boats on a lake crammed into one tiny area > because that must be the fishing hotspot ! ;) Yea' right :) LOL

Keep in mind here too, that IMPO, my box sounds bombastic, as it is.... port extensions or not. I'm really just splitting hairs here.

I wish I had my own Term Lab, so I could try some of these different changes (which would probably make pretty small differences) and be able to see "for sure" if these changes were positive, or negative.

Hmmmm....

Peace,

Fish

Well, since your asking for others thoughts on it, you must not like something.

Something about it is bugging you, otherwise it wouldnt have come up.

Either way, let us know what happens

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

The distance the rear wave of the sub travels through the port determines the frequency thats being reinforced and will not change (or average) with multiple ports at different lengths. If you have 3 different lengths then you will be reinforcing 3 different frequencies. It would still work and be beneficial over a sealed box but I think there would be some cancellation issues with the different frequencies around the exits of the ports in close proximity. I say all 3 the same length would be better. Or better yet, 1 large port.

Thats just my guess. :lol:

we experimented with multiple ports at different lengths. NO it will not average. The point of the experiment was to determine if we could tune the enclosure to multiple frequencies. We called it the Pipe Organ. We found that we could tune to 1/4 harmonics but no more than 2 frequencies. It helped prevent huge spikes in resonance, and acted more like a bandpass, but with a slight dip in the middle. It sounded like ass though. it's better to make a widely tuned box with a flatter response than to try to make neato looking things

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

That makes alot more sense than averaging.

And another reason you dont see it.

I can tell you if it did work, blose would be using it currently

that is correct, considering they own the patent on "the Pipe Organ"...as we discovered later. good thing we didn't bring it to market

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

And chris, dont think of the "box" as everyone fishing at the same spot.

Think of it as everyone using the same style of gear.

You wouldnt use tomatoes as bait right?

Or some strange contraption to haul in your fish. No, you use whats proven.

Just another way to look at the "box".

Im all for change and new ideas, but not everything works and what does is for a reason.

Lol. Im here.

If i took calls at work id never get anything done.

My cell is best.

If you need me its in my contact info on my fb page.