Sonic Electronix

what is the strand count? does it mean that there are that many strands in the wire or what.

because the jacket on my 4 gauge power wire says 2058 strands ofc.

yes i already know that the ofc is like the official wire size or something

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

what is the strand count? does it mean that there are that many strands in the wire or what.

OFC is oxygen free copper. Having air pockets in wire generates heat. Heat = wasted energy. It would also lower the wire's current carrying capacity. This is also related to the reason its widely suggested you either use hydraulic crimpers or solder your connection. CCA is copper clad aluminium. Aluminium isn't as effective a conductor as copper. But aluminium is cheaper and lighter, so people use it.

The strand count means you have a bunch of fine wires instead of a few thick ones. Makes the wire more flexible.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

OFC is oxygen free copper. Having air pockets in wire generates heat. Heat = wasted energy. It would also lower the wire's current carrying capacity. This is also related to the reason its widely suggested you either use hydraulic crimpers or solder your connection. CCA is copper clad aluminium. Aluminium isn't as effective a conductor as copper. But aluminium is cheaper and lighter, so people use it.

The strand count means you have a bunch of fine wires instead of a few thick ones. Makes the wire more flexible.

I hear mixed emotions on soldering connections

I hear mixed emotions on soldering connections

Just like there are mixed emotions on crimping connections, which is why I stated both.

I've seen what a good crimp looks like. Personally, I'm eventually going to invest in a hydraulic crimper. Need to do the research it takes to find what I need to look for, but meh.

EDIT:As not to derail the thread, I'll edit this post and add the link here.

Edited by BJD3

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

oh well what whats the abbreviation for the official wire gauge. or is that only with welding and home electrical? i think it was awg or something. and im guessing the ofc copper is higher quality than regular copper?

as for the crimping or soldering i don't think I'll ave to put any terminals on this install i think everything is set screws and what not. im not sure how the db link battery terminal works though. if it's set screws also or compression ring or what

Edited by bass_stalker

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

oh well what whats the abbrivation for the official wire gauge. or is that only with welding and home electrical? i think it was awg or something. and im guessing the ofc copper is higher quality than regular copper?

as for the crimping or soldering i don't think I'll ave to put any terminals on this install i think everything is set screws and what not. im not sure how the db link battery terminal works though. if it's set screws also or compression ring or what

The official wire gauge abbreviation is AWG, which stands for American Wire Gauge.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 v6

2 sundown audio prototype nsv4 15s

crossfire 4k wired to 0.4 ohm

15 banks of maxwell 3.0 caps @ 18v

triple alts (x2 us alt 250's, x1 singer 320)

153 at 23hz

allright. so that should be all the terms i would need to know?. i accounted for the maximum amperage and what not. so i think thats all. my only other question would be what could i use as a 0 gauge grommet to put in my firewall.

allright. so that should be all the terms i would need to know?. i accounted for the maximum amperage and what not. so i think thats all. my only other question would be what could i use as a 0 gauge grommet to put in my firewall.

http://www.darvex.com/store/pc/Grommets-c32.htm

Remember to fuse? :shrug:

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert