Second Skin Audio

Messed up Solo x 18 [HELP!]

Well some more bad news for me today! My RE Audio XTX5000D blew back on the 22nd of September so I decided to take my box and sub out for now. Previously I had been having problems with the SPLAT(Speaker Precise Location Alignment Tool) which is the metal bracket that goes on the inside of the box that the Solo x 18 bolts into. It was stripped out from many years of use so I drilled out the holes for the bolts and used some J-B Weld to secure some grade 8 nuts onto the underside of the SPLAT. After I finished with the J-B Weld, I decided to clean up the basket/motor assembly(BAM). I took the rubber boot off of the magnet and to my surprise, the T-Yoke and closest magnet to that had shifted slightly. I had noticed that the voice coil would sometimes rub on the T-Yoke, but it was never too bad. What i'm wondering is if there is any way to shift the T-Yoke and closest magnet back into place without breaking the magnets? Help from an experienced member would be much appreciated!

PS: Please don't suggest using the warranty, because this basket/motor assembly is from 2003!

EDIT: Here are some pics

photo0254z.jpg

photo0255z.jpg

Edited by MuRKRoW

Sound Solutions Audio ZCON 18

Crescendo Audio BC3500D

JVC KD-R80BT headunit

Alpine/Pioneer mids & highs

4 group 34 agm batteries

Knukonceptz 3x0ga. terminals

Kicker/XS Power 0ga. wiring

contact fix my speaker.com

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

Thanks for the reply. I've sent them an email and am waiting for a response. This is a little off-topic, but has anyone else noticed Kicker's products being lower quality? I heard Kicker was bought out earlier this year? I bought my '07 recone for my Solo x 18 about 5 months ago and have had nothing but problems with it!

Crescendo Audio BC3500D

JVC KD-R80BT headunit

4 group 34 agm batteries

wouldnt suprise me. you see it with loads of companies. kicker started selling to best buy in the past couple years. and as with other companies when they sell out to larger businesses the quality drops to meet demand. happned with audiobahn. i have a 12" flame series sub from them that i bought nearly 10-11 years ago. i have tried multiple times to get one of the new flame q series subs to go along with it, but the new ones keep having problems, be it tinsel leads breaking, coils smoking, etc. etc. and yet the sub i bought before they sold out to walmart is still living strong. it seems to be the death of quality for alot of (what used to be) good brands. :(

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

I dont think kicker was ever "great" quality.. maybe good for some things. Just different enough to appeal.

that said, if you secure the frame to something and push on the magnet/rear plate with a tool that can be controlled you should be able to realign them.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

that said, if you secure the frame to something and push on the magnet/rear plate with a tool that can be controlled you should be able to realign them.

I am able to secure it, but what kind of tool? I think that if I have something constantly pushing/pulling on it, it will eventually slide in the right direction but maybe go too far. I tried flipping the basket upside down and hitting the shifted spot with a rubber mallot, but I haven't seen anything move yet :shrug:

Crescendo Audio BC3500D

JVC KD-R80BT headunit

4 group 34 agm batteries

So what, after only 8 years of boom you maby need a new sub. I felt it as a good bang for the buck, and if you can repair the sub, how long will it last and what will it cost.

If you get a answer from speaker.fix and your wallet, is time to decide. If you broke and repair is possible, let it repair. If not, buy a new sub and sell the sub as it is or the parts.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

So what, after only 8 years of boom you maby need a new sub. I felt it as a good bang for the buck, and if you can repair the sub, how long will it last and what will it cost.

If you get a answer from speaker.fix and your wallet, is time to decide. If you broke and repair is possible, let it repair. If not, buy a new sub and sell the sub as it is or the parts.

Well i've only had it for 3 years now. I traded 2 15" L7's with the boxes for the Solo x 18. The Solo x had the old '04 cone that I later replaced. I honestly am on a super tight budget right now. If my Solo x 18 goes, I won't have enough to get a decent replacement and my bass days will be done for a while :trippy:

Crescendo Audio BC3500D

JVC KD-R80BT headunit

4 group 34 agm batteries

Pics of the gap? Although the slugs aren't perfectly aligned that doesn't look shifted to me.

I'll get as close up as possible. The best measurement I was able to get was 6mm on one side of the gap and 5mm on the other. It was most likely not very accurate though.

EDIT: I'll have to take the pic tomorrow or another day because I just realized how late it is and I have college classes tomorrow! :No:

Edited by MuRKRoW

Crescendo Audio BC3500D

JVC KD-R80BT headunit

4 group 34 agm batteries