Second Skin Audio

how close can a port be too the back of my box?

solosickness

hey everybody, Im building an enclosure walled off in my ford focus hatch.

Somewere around 12-13 cubic ft. right now its about 30.5 inches in length, not very long.

I have x2 kicker solo x 18's on a kicker warhorse n x4 hc2400's

well i was playing with a few calcs and was hoping too tune around 32 hz.

but inless my box is 14 cubes+ i might have port length issues.

so my actual question is, how close can a port get too the back without any issues?

Im thinking but not sure, but wanna have about 200 sq inches of port total for them. "open to suggestions/tips"

prolly 10 inches tall 20 inches wide. or little ajustments either way.

Ride Stats:

2003 Ford focus Zx3 Hatch Walled System

X1 Solo X Kicker 18" "Enclosure: 7.8 cbft, Port Firing Into a Horn, On a 90*"

X1 Rockford Fosgate 40001bd "Now a Warhorse On my dresser"

x1 0g Big 3

x1 Kinetik 2400 "x4 Kinetik 2400's"

x1 Kinetik 1800

x2 Kinetik Special Edition True Silver Battery Terminals

x20 Gold Plated 0gauge 3/8 Ring Terminals

x25 Total ft: KnuKonceptz Kable 1/0 Silver Pearl* 2500+ Strands.

x15ft KnuKonceptz 8 Gauge.

-Soon Too Be Walled

Fav Quote:

They Dont Feal Me, But They Feal Me.

Just like Ricky said the port must ALWAYS be the same width no matter how long you make it. Lets say for example your port is 40 inches long and 2 inches wide. If your box is only 30 inches deep your port would go back 30 inches and then have a right angle and continue with another 10 inches of board to make the port. Once that is cut you need to make sure that the width inside the port is the same for both pieces. For example if you do like i used as an example make sure the 10 inch long piece is 2 inches away from the back wall of the box and that the 30 inch long piece is 2 inches away from the side of your box. You cannot have one piece be 2 inches wide and another part be 1 inch wide, it wont be a continuous flow and it would sound like garbage and wont work well, if at all.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

ok so i can simply make my port area less?

steve meade usued very little on his x4 fi btls?

is there an upside too less port area? whats ALL of the pros and cons on this.

Im researching myself too, but sum info u just cant dig up...

are flared round ports better? shorter?

Ride Stats:

2003 Ford focus Zx3 Hatch Walled System

X1 Solo X Kicker 18" "Enclosure: 7.8 cbft, Port Firing Into a Horn, On a 90*"

X1 Rockford Fosgate 40001bd "Now a Warhorse On my dresser"

x1 0g Big 3

x1 Kinetik 2400 "x4 Kinetik 2400's"

x1 Kinetik 1800

x2 Kinetik Special Edition True Silver Battery Terminals

x20 Gold Plated 0gauge 3/8 Ring Terminals

x25 Total ft: KnuKonceptz Kable 1/0 Silver Pearl* 2500+ Strands.

x15ft KnuKonceptz 8 Gauge.

-Soon Too Be Walled

Fav Quote:

They Dont Feal Me, But They Feal Me.

Not trying to sound like a dick but just because steve does it doesnt mean you or anyone else for the fact of the matter should do it. Now with less port area from what ive been told makes it a little louder but you lose some woofer control where with a higher port area you gain a good amount of sub control but lose some output. I have a crap ton of power and port area for my AA SMD and i love it.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Archived