Just in your personal experiences.... ???

Have you seen a bigger increase (and been more satified) by a doubling of your speakers (speaker surface area) or by a doubling of your power ? I know... I know... we all want to do both, right ? :)

I've read that each of these things adds approx 3db's. Granted, that is totally variable, and certainly wouldn't hold true if you were already hitting 158db's or something crazy in the first place, but just to make a point....

Just wondering....

Fish

PS, Going from my old 12"s to my new 15"s (approx doubling the sub surface area, huh ?) made a HUGE difference ! If that was only 3 db's..... holy $#!+ ! Can't wait to double the power, too !

Oh snap ! My 666th post ! :)

Edited by Fish Chris

I would do double cone area as this allows you to have more surface area to dissapate heat if you plan on pounding on it for a long time.

Say hypothetically, you will see the EXACT same gain from either or, the double power set-up is going to have to dissipate 4x the heat as the double cone area set-up.

Good point. And I totally like to have a system which will pound for hours, if I want it to. Mine will, and has, on many occasions :)

Fish

I would do double cone area as this allows you to have more surface area to dissapate heat if you plan on pounding on it for a long time.

Say hypothetically, you will see the EXACT same gain from either or, the double power set-up is going to have to dissipate 4x the heat as the double cone area set-up.

Cone area is win. This time last year I had a single 12" type E on 360 watts. Then to two 18's in an infinite baffle on 240watts which was louder.lol Now to a wall for 3 18" (math ain't working for 4). I run 10" midbass in the doors... For me lots o' cone is the only way to go.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Well I haven't metered my car since I close to doubled my power. Before hand I was doing 146.2, I'm a good bit louder now so I dunno, I doubt I gain 3 DB lol, 149 from a stock trunk is a lot. From what I've see doubling cone area usually wins if it fits lol

Going from a single DD3515sc to two DC Lv5 18s, only 2kw to both setups, I didn't really notice a huge difference, even though I tripled the cone area. The 3515 was moving much more, and in my honest opinion seemed to move more air than my 18s, which were barely moving on only 1kw before rise a piece. So aside from the other random variables, it seems the excursion of the woofer would also play a part in that 3db increase. But I don't know much, so I can't really say if it was just my experience or whatever.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

I went from 1 saz4500 doing a 150.3 to 2 saz4500s doing a 153.5 and my electrical isnt nearly enough for both 4500s so im surr theres still more to gain, of course, every setup is differnt

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

see im stuck aswell, 9k pushing 10 10s or 2 18s in a wall.

and later get another 18 and 9k. but for now i need loudest lol

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU