Sonic Electronix

Hi guys, I just recently bought a used BTL 15 D2 because it was such a good deal that I couldn't pass it up. I do not have enough cash to power it properly so until that happens I was thinking of just building a box as if it would go in my trunk but keep it in my room. I have a Klipsch Sub 12 with a 300w plate amp... so I was thinking of using that to power the BTL. I was wondering if you guys would give me any input on how the BTL will act with that low power in a big 4.2cuft box. It will not hurt the sub even if it is clipping right? Because the most wattage that could be thermally be produced by a clipping 300w amp would be 600w? Right? Also how do you think it will sound haha? Sorry I think I rambled a bit...

clipping is bad period..... You can kill the baddest sub with clipping on low power.

I haven't seen anyone use a BTL in a HT style box.... If I where to do it, I would probably do 5.5-6cubes @24hz

Edited by armykyle1

i would wait on useing it till u get a decent amp...and not bad 4 ur first post

1995 Honda passport 3.2 4x4 Frankenstein on a budget

ballistics sound deader (roof only so far)

kenwood mp3 usb

audio control 3 (upgrading)

hifonics mx-3

3 sets of massive px5 5.25s

3 sets of massive tweets

phonix gold 5.25 componets

x2 massive nx4 nano 200x4 mids

sony xplod 600x4 watt high's

2 Fi bl fully loaded box walled @31ish hz

13.2 cube box/wall

massive DB8000

Excessive amaperge 250 amp alt wir extrnl regulator

daul runs of xs power xpflex 0 gauge

big 3

raptor 0 gauge power/ground wire full run

suriken 45 amp hour x3 shriken bt-120 batts,interstate 1100CA semi batt

scytek galaxy 2way alarm

still upgradeing!

ok.... two things hurt speakers. overpowering them and running a clipped signal to them. so yes, clipping the amplifier to your sub will hurt it regardless if its 300 watts or 2000 watts. and on that low of power, i don't believe a low frequency will hurt that btl as long as your not running a clipped signal. if i am wrong on either of these, please someone, speak up.

Loud as f*ck, and sounds good doing it.

Team built from here on out!!!!

BIG things to come.........

Missing link is the shite!!!

SMDMafiaEagleScorpio1.jpg

bannerfans_8aed9634.png

clipping = death of btl

head-unit: pioneer avh p-4300DVD

2 Fi btl n2 18's

1 dc audio 5k

1 dc audio 175.4

4 sets of fusion CP-CM50 components

1 mechman 270 amp alt

3 XS Power D3400

80 Mil Sound Deadener by audio technix

all in my 2003 chevy suburban.

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't think I can wait till the time it takes for me to have enough for an amp so I am going to do it anyway :P But I will take what you guys said into account. I have access to an oscilloscope so I can make sure that the amp isn't clipping. That being considered conclusion = 300w will be okay as long as its not clipping at all?

300 watts probably won't make it move much, but as long as it's not clipping I see nothing wrong with it.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

as previously mentioned it will not get that btl to move at all, it will play the frequency but wont hit at all. you also can really cook a sub if it isnt moving and you clip it. I have seen this with my SMD. If i play a clipped song at full tilt it barely gets warm and doesnt smell but if i play it at a lower volume but its still clipped a little, it gets even hotter. The reason for this is because the sub uses the high excursion to cool off the coil and inner parts of the subwoofer. The more excursion, the more air flow it produces, the more air flow it produces the cooler the coil will be and the more power you can toss at it. I have 5kw of clean power going to a single SMD 18 sub and as long as i dont clip it, it stays perfectly cool and does not smell. I have had the sub for a few months and it handles the abuse im giving it like a champ.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress