Second Skin Audio

What kind of box should I build?

Hey everyone. Today I just got my replacement for my broken Dayton Sub. In replacement I received the Dayton Titanic MKIII 12". This one HERE. I currently have it in my box that I built for the old Dayton sub. It is 2.0cu.ft sealed. Even though this is a home audio subwoofer I am using it in my car at the moment until I save for bigger and better.

I am only running the subwoofer off a Fusion PP-AM10001. Which does around 400w @ 4ohm. I would really like to make a box that sounds great but can also get loud because of the low power I am running. I'm not sure which type of box I should use. I was looking at PWK Designs boxes and they have some pretty awesome looking boxes. My subsonic filter is at around 20-25hz and the low pass at 80-100hz.

If you could give me a type of box that would give me both sound quality but also get louder than the sealed box I already have that would be awesome! Any further specifications like size and tuning and box tips to get it louder would be great too!

Thanks!

Damn you're way out there in NZ. I would just do some research and build my own box. You say you want loud off 400rms. I'd say ported box tuned to a high hz. But I'm still new in car audio so don't take my word for it. :shrug:

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

Damn you're way out there in NZ. I would just do some research and build my own box. You say you want loud off 400rms. I'd say ported box tuned to a high hz. But I'm still new in car audio so don't take my word for it. :shrug:

Hell yeah. Lil old NZ down the bottom of the world. Of course I'd build my own box. I've built 3 in the past including this sealed one I'm using now. Not sure high tuning would be too good for this sub. Wouldn't it be really peaky doing that. Plus the FS is 25hz which is low!

Ported 100%

The tuning just depends on what music you listen to

Mainly dubstep, drum and bass or music with rolling bass.

I was thinking about getting fancy though. Ya know going further than ported. Not sure if any of those more complex box designs would be any good for what I'm doing though?

Hey everyone. Today I just got my replacement for my broken Dayton Sub. In replacement I received the Dayton Titanic MKIII 12". This one HERE. I currently have it in my box that I built for the old Dayton sub. It is 2.0cu.ft sealed. Even though this is a home audio subwoofer I am using it in my car at the moment until I save for bigger and better.

I am only running the subwoofer off a Fusion PP-AM10001. Which does around 400w @ 4ohm. I would really like to make a box that sounds great but can also get loud because of the low power I am running. I'm not sure which type of box I should use. I was looking at PWK Designs boxes and they have some pretty awesome looking boxes. My subsonic filter is at around 20-25hz and the low pass at 80-100hz.

If you could give me a type of box that would give me both sound quality but also get louder than the sealed box I already have that would be awesome! Any further specifications like size and tuning and box tips to get it louder would be great too!

Thanks!

i'll design you one for $5

if ramdesigns has any free time he'd probably do one for around 15

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

What size port should I use. How many sq inch per cu.ft of port? I know Digital Designs recommends 16 sq inch to 1 cu.ft of volume. I'm not sure how that would react to the Dayton sub though. I'll probably go for 2.5cu.ft. I could even make the port external or partly external so that I can get the port firing off the boot? Or would that create some sort of imaging because the subwoofer is further away from the boot than the port?

I would really like to get some more output out of the subwoofer because it is lacking now that I have 2 DD-CS6.5 component sets in the front doors. Building a new box is also cheaper than getting more power at the moment too.

EDIT: Just had a lil go on Torres Box calc. How is this? Not sure on port size though or if it can be 22" external. Just a rough measurement.

jXDUt6ewQDEEA.jpg

jbw7YnpcoyV3C1.jpg

Edited by darkraid

• 2 weeks later...