DC Sound Lab

What causes this and is it fixable?

Just reglue the motor to the top plate. Recone both while you're at it..

I would suggest using an alignment tool while setting the motor onto the top plate.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Wow.. top plate came off. Not sure if its fixable probaly not unless you get a new motor and a recone. Probably be cheaper to buy a new sub

well couldnt he just buy a motor and put the whole basket and cone assemply on it after removing the old top plate?

No cause you have to bolt the basket to the motor and that's under the spiders that are ca glued to the basket. So he would haive to cut out spiders and take out cone and coil to do it

ahh ok. well thats a bit of a downer.

you just need a recone and a new motor...

but should get another recone for the other, to make sure they match up, and not 1 being old and 1 being new..atleast, thats what i would do

well buying a new motor and a recone, he might as well just buy a new sub.

still cheaper to buy the motor and recone, than it would be to buy a new sub... baskets are still a decent price LOL

shows how much i know about prices lol

Just reglue the motor to the top plate. Recone both while you're at it..

I would suggest using an alignment tool while setting the motor onto the top plate.

I apologize but where do you get an alignment tool? Is it made or bought? Again excuse my ignorance but I have no experience with rebuilding subs though I am interested in learning. Also what type of glue is used to glue the top plate to the magnet I wouldn't think CA glue but I could be wrong?

Rebuild coming soon

We have alignment shims at dc. There machined from aluminum. Not for sale through. If you send it to

us we can re assemble the motor no prob. It will need a recone though

Edited by WCA Rusty

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

Built by Competitors, for Competitors.

We have alignment shims at dc. There machined from aluminum. Not for sale through. If you send it to

What type of glue is used to attach the top plate. Also can I get pricing on two lvl 3 12 recones, feel free to PM, or if you'd rather me e-mail you that's fine too.

Rebuild coming soon

How rare is this occurrence? What do you think caused this?

extreamly rare but it does happen. maybe see a couple a year. Its from the glue joint breaking between the top slug and the top plate.

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

What type of glue is used to attach the top plate. Also can I get pricing on two lvl 3 12 recones, feel free to PM, or if you'd rather me e-mail you that's fine too.

Sure, whats your email addy?

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

Epoxy usually works.

Alignment tool can be made out of aluminum, or you can build a make-shift one out of ratchet straps and some wood or steel. Just be careful if you macguyver it, you could break fingers.. and stuff.. :popcorn:

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.