Why are home amps so small and expensive?

my home amp is a tis audio 1800 watt car amp hooked to my xbox originals power supply.just saying

1800 rms?? didnt know an xbox supply could handle that. but im very interested in this! start a build log on it.

BUILD LINK: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/112034-2-sundown-18s-98-f-150/page__p__1565972__fromsearch__1#entry1565972

98 Ford F-150
Truck:
37" superswamper tsl radials
16" ion alloy wheels
3" body lift
2" suspension lift
Offbrand brushguard
PIAA driving lights
6000K HID's
System:
2 18" Sundown Nightshaed
Aq3500
Custom Fiberglass box
fosgate T1 6x8 Coxials
bass inferno 2000 watt 4 channel
2 XS power d3100's
0 Gauge

I always contemplated something along the lines of what stalker was saying. Since home amps would have to put out cleaner power/sound at a higher impedance, it might be more costly to use higher end components to do so.

Who knows, I'm probably wrong, just my guess.

My Channel on YouTube. Check it out for cinematic-style Car Audio videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcSMhtT-rpopJbdybubDgnQ

New 2014 Scion TC 4th Wall Build

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/217173-2014-tc-4th-order-build-3-fi-sp4-15s/

Maybe cause you dont need that much power compared to a car??I mean do you really wnat 5000 watts of power in your room?

Heck yeah!! That would be freakin' awesome!!

No, it's wouldn't. It would sound like total crap.

how you figure?

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

well i don't have any proof or sources for this, but home amplifiers usually put out a much cleaner signal than car amplifiers. there are a few reasons for this:

1. when you're in your home it's a lot quieter than in a car. therefore it's easier to pick up on distortion

2. speakers in a home theater are a lot of times higher fidelity than car speakers. again because it's easier to pick up details in a home theater setup (sometimes)

3. if you just spent 30k on a 5.1, you're not gonna want to power it with something cheap

also most home amplifiers are only stable down to 8 ohms (sometimes 4 ohms) so to be fair, look for a decent car amplifier that will put out the same power at 8 ohms as a home amp. i bet the prices will be a little closer ;)

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

wall power is very dirty in comparison to batteries might be some costly components to filter it out

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

wall power is very dirty in comparison to batteries might be some costly components to filter it out

thank you for mentioning this, sir. this is 100% true. NEVER plug expensive electronic equipment into the wall.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

U also have to think about the fact most homes have a 20 amp breaker, that supply other plugs also. Like said above the power is dirty and just think about the current draw on a t.v, reciver, sub amp, blue-ray etc. That's alot of current, that's part of the reason home audio gear is made with better parts.

Archived