Second Skin Audio

Square subwoofers

My understanding is as follows: The reason a comparable square sub is louder than the round sub of similar specs and size is that the square sub of any given size, has more cone area than its round equivalent, that being said, I have yet to hear any square subs that truly sound "great" to my ears....sure they are loud, but all I have heard sound boomy and not as good as a similar round sub set up

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

It depends on the port. Square subs do better with square ports, round subs with round ports, and octagon subs with octagon ports. It get's louder since the sound waves already fit through the port

:peepwall:

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

It depends on the port. Square subs do better with square ports, round subs with round ports, and octagon subs with octagon ports. It get's louder since the sound waves already fit through the port

I dont know about all that...I was always under the impression sound waves are round. Period. regardless of what shape the source is, a sound wave is round. I would like for someone of more knowledge to chime in on this to be certain.....

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

I dont know about all that...I was always under the impression sound waves are round. Period. regardless of what shape the source is, a sound wave is round. I would like for someone of more knowledge to chime in on this to be certain.....

i'm pretty sure TeamHT is right...

lol.

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

a 12" square woofer is theoretically supposed to be louder than a 12" round woofer because of simple math

12x12 = 144sqin of cone area for a square woofer

pi*62 = 113sqin of cone area for a circle woofer

but square woofers have been said to have lesser sound quality since the cone is square rather than circular (probably due to rigidity of them, i dont know)

But a sub that's clipping doesn't make a round wave.. So if you go with a zigzag port and clip the hell outta your subs the shit is gonna pound and sound good! :lol:

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

louder?... I don't buy that.

Why?

In theory, 2 indentical set ups, with the same power, only difference one being a 12" square sub, the other being a 12" round sub, the square set up, on paper should be louder... more cone area. And how times has the mantra of " cone area is king" been proven on this site alone? a million?

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO