very interesting.

I'm experiencing an annoying issue with my Honda in the exhaust department. Currently, my header is running through a high flow cat, then a straight pipe all the way to the muffler (no resonator). However, when I put a silencer in the exhaust, which is annoyingly loud might I add, I gain quite a bit of pick up. It is very noticeable. Is this because I am simply losing power due to oversized components? All I really did was remove any restrictions from the header back.

very interesting.

I'm experiencing an annoying issue with my Honda in the exhaust department. Currently, my header is running through a high flow cat, then a straight pipe all the way to the muffler (no resonator). However, when I put a silencer in the exhaust, which is annoyingly loud might I add, I gain quite a bit of pick up. It is very noticeable. Is this because I am simply losing power due to oversized components? All I really did was remove any restrictions from the header back.

What does this mean?

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

very interesting.

What does this mean?

Torque or acceleration maybe?

Lack of "back pressure" can cause exhaust valves to burn up, due to being over exerted. Its not the lack of back pressure that causes power loss, its the change in the exhaust gas pulses that cause the velocity of the gases to flow. Basically most vehicles now days have tuned exhaust, if you modify this with out properly knowing what you're doing, you'll end up most likely robbing your engine of low end tq and hp due to the change in velocity, and a slight gain higher RPM power mainly HP. The problem is the term "back pressure" is misunderstood... But in all reality, "back pressure" is a necessary evil for daily driven cars. My father is a 22yr master tech and he'll tell you the same thing.

not a bad read though, on the xpipe Hpipe question, its an equalization in back pressure on both sides of the engine, typically causing the engine to run more efficiently, and generate better low end tq and hp. In full on race applications cross over pipes and generally not used because of the engine staying in extremely high RPMs and cross over pipes could cause a slight drop in higher RPMs on a full race car.

very interesting.

What does this mean?

Torque or acceleration maybe?

If he means that, then it's normal the silencer gives you more low end power because air moves too fast thru the exhaust if it doesn't have enough "back pressure".

On lower RPM you need the air to slowly fill thechamber if it goes too fast, the air and fuel mixture will slighty get out and you lose HP.(except if you adjust the timings.)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Lack of "back pressure" can cause exhaust valves to burn up, due to being over exerted. Its not the lack of back pressure that causes power loss, its the change in the exhaust gas pulses that cause the velocity of the gases to flow. Basically most vehicles now days have tuned exhaust, if you modify this with out properly knowing what you're doing, you'll end up most likely robbing your engine of low end tq and hp due to the change in velocity, and a slight gain higher RPM power mainly HP. The problem is the term "back pressure" is misunderstood... But in all reality, "back pressure" is a necessary evil for daily driven cars. My father is a 22yr master tech and he'll tell you the same thing.

not a bad read though, on the xpipe Hpipe question, its an equalization in back pressure on both sides of the engine, typically causing the engine to run more efficiently, and generate better low end tq and hp. In full on race applications cross over pipes and generally not used because of the engine staying in extremely high RPMs and cross over pipes could cause a slight drop in higher RPMs on a full race car.

I was gonna post about back pressure, but seems you got it covered

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Back pressure is irrelevant to high revving, high output motors.

Was more meant toward someone putting a 4" straight pipe on a stock Honda Civic

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Back pressure is irrelevant to high revving, high output motors.

Was more meant toward someone putting a 4" straight pipe on a stock Honda Civic

I gots 5" on the daewoo lol jk jk. Back pressure on a turbo'd car is needed in most daily applications too. Not a lot but some. If anyone doesn't agree don't ask why, just go find out for yourself...