Sonic Electronix

what makes a subwoofer louder? - scientific

this is a really good question...like, wat determines the sensitivity of the subwoofer??...why dont u ever see a subwoofer with a 100db sensitivity like a super tweeter??...wats stopping a sub from that??...ive always been interested in these questions

personal build in progress

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188656-2013-kia-sorento-6-12-no-wall/

www.facebook.com/TurbulentDesigns

ooo and is it true that having a HUGE magnet isnt always a good thing??...ive herd that because of a big ass magnet, the woofer has to work harder to get louder but WILL get louder than its smaller counterpart??...we all kno big magnet look great but is there a downfall to them??...is that kinda wear the neos come in??

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188656-2013-kia-sorento-6-12-no-wall/

this is a really good question...like, wat determines the sensitivity of the subwoofer??...why dont u ever see a subwoofer with a 100db sensitivity like a super tweeter??...wats stopping a sub from that??...ive always been interested in these questions

well, if the cone is pretty light, then the coil doesn't have to work as hard to move it. Old School Cerwin Vega 15s back in the mid 90s had 98db output at 1 watt.

It's like this... you can have a sensitive sub, and a cone that's pretty weak and not designed to push a lot of Xmax. That's fine and dandy, but when you put a lot of power to it you can blow out the cone. Build a sub with a sturdy cone, and you can have a sensitivity 10db lower... but now you can add a coil that can handle 10x the power because the cone can handle it now.

It all about how much air you can move. Sometimes you need a ton of power to push a sub that needs a ton of power to make a ton of sound. Sometimes you can get a lot from a little with an efficient sub and less power.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

ooo and is it true that having a HUGE magnet isnt always a good thing??...ive herd that because of a big ass magnet, the woofer has to work harder to get louder but WILL get louder than its smaller counterpart??...we all kno big magnet look great but is there a downfall to them??...is that kinda wear the neos come in??

Dude, if you're impressed with magnet size LOL...

Forget the looks of a sub. that is manipulated for sales appeal and nothing more. I've seen small magnets with 10x the BL of magnets visually twice the size. Big surrounds that say "hey I got a lot of xmax, buy me" come on the cheapo pioneer walmart subs with 4mm Xmax. Your best bet is to get the T/S and go from there.

2007 Pacifica

im not impressed by magnet size...i just think big magnets look sexii, like im sure a lot of ppl will agree...personally, id rather buy something half as big and perform just as well minus all that extra weight

ok im understanding this but what is motor force ? is it like the momentum of the cone ?

BL is simply how strong the magnetic field is around the magnet. A coil with current passing through it reacts to the magnetic field. Power goes one way through the coil, sub goes up. Power alternates going the other way, sub goes down. More power needs more BL to react to. You also need a coil that can handle the power.

2007 Pacifica

think 5hp snowblower vs 25hp snowblower...

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

im not impressed by magnet size...i just think big magnets look sexii, like im sure a lot of ppl will agree...personally, id rather buy something half as big and perform just as well minus all that extra weight

I was just fucking with you, dude. dont take it personal. I like sexy subs too. But look at the SMD 18. That motor is sexy as hell but I can tell you this... that muhfukka is all business.

2007 Pacifica

my badd if u took it like i was bein a dick...was just sayin, i like the look of big as magnets on woofers...the lvl 6 magnet gets me hard...lol...but thats the perfect example rele...is THAT big of a motor really needed to get THAT loud without going to a neo??

Archived